• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

John Innes No. 2

ourmanflint

A few people seem to recommend John Innes No. 3 for a base layer, but was wondering if using John Innes No.2 with a few extra slow release granules would work just as well? Reason I'm asking is it's the only one I can get cheaply and conveniently 13L for £2.50.

Cheers

JI2 would be just fine for growing plants. Is this for your Paro tank? If so it really sin't suitable as it contains a lot of lime which will really push the pH and KH up.

John Innes Composts explained

Yes it was for my Paro's tank, hadn't realise it had added lime to it. I'll be using either rainwater or RO water for the tank though so will maybe do a test to see what happens. I suppose I could always give it a bit of a mild acid wash to dissolve the limestone quickly and then drain it out.
Is there another cheap alternative to JI?

Thanks for alerting me, appreciate it!

I made precisely the same mistake when setting up my tnak intially. Was planning on stocking paros, didn't realise what was in the JI3 and ended up with 400ppm and a pH of 7.8.

See if anywhere near you has plain old topsoil. Or you could make your own with sand, grit, loam and leaf litter.

There's also this stuff which is a touch more expensive but has been tested by Alastair and found to have a negligible effect on water parameters - Original genuine AQUA SOIL formulated for your pond plants 20 Litres items in WaterGardening FutonSofaBedsDirect store on eBay!

Or something like cat litter would work.

In that case maybe a peat based compost would be better. Verve Aquatic Compost 20L, 0000003718216. You could also use peat on its own and add your slow release granules for good measure; it'd be a better bet for creating the black water conditions this genus need to thrive. I've used peat on its own in the past and had good plant growth.

Another alternative for the environmentally conscious is this loam based compost 20L WESTLAND AQUATIC COMPOST GARDEN PLANT SOIL CONTAINER POND FISH PLANT | eBay It has a pH of around 6.0 to 6.5.

Thanks for the suggestions fellas! The Verve stuff looks ok, though looks like it needs a good presoak to stop it from floating.

Thanks for the tip Darrel! I would like to grow a wider variety of plants though, so I think some sort of soil should be the way to go.
Cheers

I can vouch for the original pond aqua soil, I'm using this in my paro tank, and it's had very little effect on water parameters.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
lee, what is the consistency of the soil?

Is it soil soil or rolled baked ?

Back