• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Johnny's 54Ltr

johnny70

Finally set this up over the weekend been thinking about it for long enough, we have various plants, mainly crypts;

Hemianthus Callitrichoides "Cuba"
Rotala rotundifolia
Pogostemon helferi
Cryptocoryne wendtii ''green''
Cryptocoryne "div"
Cryptocoryne undulata ''broad leaves''
Echinodorus tennellus
Weeping Moss
Spiky Moss
Cryptocoryne crispatula var. balansae

Tank_4373.jpg

Tank_4361-1.jpg

Tank_4362-1.jpg

ADA Aqua Soil Malaya laterite with silica sand, to save a bit of money

48w Overtank Luminere 10 hours photoperiod

daily ferts dosing along with easycarbo for a carbon source

Stocking

6 Rosy Tetra
Tetra_4367.jpg

Tetra_4371.jpg

Tetra_4379.jpg

2 Burjuquina vittata, wild caught juveniles(from Wharf Aquatics, not cheap! and they wouldn't sell me the adults they had as show specimens :rolleyes: )
IMG_4419-1.jpg

IMG_4411.jpg

IMG_4402.jpg

IMG_4399.jpg

IMG_4396.jpg

IMG_4349.jpg

Still to stock,
Clean up crew, not sure what yet, most likely a few shrimp and oto's

Nofull tank shots yet, plants need some time, still looking a bit too new yet, don't expect anything too special more of a fish man than planted, but I do enjoy the planted side of things :wideyed: I'm not on the same level as some of the stunning tanks seen on here, but I do try :oops:

Forgot to say, SORRY! for the quality of the pictures, I just couldn't get the lighting right when I did them, will update or replace as soon as I actually get some decent shots

Regards,
JOHNNY

Don't hold back!

It's good to see pictures as it's interesting to see how everything develops and grows.We're not all experts you know!!

Hi Johhny , if you only set this up over the week end you must have matured the filters and so on long before you stocked the fish? also it seems to me you may be a little over stocked, good luck with it regards john.

Thanks for the concern:) the filters have been very well matured they have been up and running on other tanks for 6 months or so. as for overstock, well, possibly, the tank is well over filtered, so shouldn't be any problems with water quality and if they do start getting to big or I start getting any problems I have a spare bigger tank just ofr them

Cheers,
JOHNNY

Did a few shots of the tank last night, like i said not happy with it yet and i'm sure you will be able to help me make it better, suggestions welcome

54ltr_4572_edited-1.jpg

Regards,
JOHNNY

I have been told that the fish may not be what I had first though :rolleyes: its possible they could be Laetacara thayeri

2 new pics below. any thoughts??

male_4561.jpg

female_4553.jpg

Cheers,
JOHNNY

I was wondering about them after posting my first message. The stripe and head didn't look right but as I've never kept them I thought it might be as they were juveniles. However after goggling the two species I think you have Laetacara thayeri. The lateral stripe ending a in a blotch then going up to the dorsal surface doesn't occur in Bujurquinas (their stripe is pretty straight) but does in the Laetacara. Also the facial markings are just like Laetacara.

Have a look at these searches,
Bujurquina vittata

Laetacara thayeri

Thanks Ed. Will ring Wharf see what they say. They have a whole tank of these fish, if they are wrong they need to know, or I may pop down on monday and give Richard some greif :lol:

JOHNNY

johnny70 said:
Thanks Ed. Will ring Wharf see what they say. They have a whole tank of these fish, if they are wrong they need to know, or I may pop down on monday and give Richard some greif :lol:

JOHNNY

Don't tell him it was me! He'll give me grief when I go next time!!!! They will probably just be going off what they were told by their supplier too. Did Rich say where they'd got them from? Was it a local breeder?

The Laetacara are very nice too, and probably a better size for your tank to be honest as I believe the Bujurquinas grow a fair bit bigger.

BTW they may be another Laetacara species. L.flavilabris has a similar lateral marking.

LOL :D

No he just said from a supplier, so I am assuming a bigger importer as they are labled up as wild caught :rolleyes: Its the first time they have had them, he didn't know too much about them, apart form they were SA and didn't grow big ;)

Hopefully will be able to get a full ID when they are fll grown, if I go down I'll take my camera and get a picture of the mature pair they have.

JOHNNY

johnny70 said:
LOL :D

No he just said from a supplier, so I am assuming a bigger importer as they are labled up as wild caught :rolleyes: Its the first time they have had them, he didn't know too much about them, apart form they were SA and didn't grow big ;)

Hopefully will be able to get a full ID when they are fll grown, if I go down I'll take my camera and get a picture of the mature pair they have.

JOHNNY

I'll be going up there this weekend at some point (got to buy crickets for the Gecko at school!) so will have a good look at them and have a chat with the guys and see what they say.

Cool, tell him its the bloke from the peak district that was telling him how crap their plants were :D he'll remember me :wideyed: LMK what he says :)

JOHNNY

No worries. Glad you managed to ID them. Always good when Mike Wise on Apistogramma.com agrees with your ideas as I don't think I ever remember him being wrong!!! I'll drop in tomorrow at Wharf and have a good look at theirs.

best tell Richard to re label the little buggers :rolleyes:

JOHNNY

Small picture update on the fish and tank.

Smiler_4941.jpg

Smiler_4954.jpg

Smiler_5050.jpg

Smiler_5051.jpg

Tank_4988.jpg

Regards,
JOHNNY

Back