• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Johns first planted journal

I have queen arabesque plecs in my planted tank. They are mainly carnivorous and only grow to about 4inches, so are perfect. I love them, although they are a shy, so do better with more than one. I have 2 and in an ideal world would have 5 or 6 (maybe an excuse for a species only tank one day!)

You could always get a group of pitbull plecs (or almost any other of the parotocinclus) I've got a Gold spot dwarf plec (parotocinclus spilisoma) who hasn't touched my plants in the 18 months I've had it. They're about the same size as otos but more plec like in appearance and behaviour. Ideal for many of the smaller planted tanks :)

Yeah I like the look of those but the main reason for me having those species is for the algae eating capabilities.
Heres a little update. Ive just put some backing onto the tank which I think looks a little better. It brings out the colour of the cardinals.
Before
Picture047.jpg

After
Picture098.jpg

Let me know what ya think.
John

Not sure which ones you were refering to but my GSD does eat the algae, though the Malaysian trumpet snails beat him to it if he's not careful ;)

Much prefer the dark backing, something I'm going to be doing with mine tonight (I got it all cut up and ready to go last week but just haven't had time to fit it!)

It's probably just the exposure but the lights seem dimmer in the second shot. :?

I think It looks darker as Ive adjusted the aperture on the the camera so thats why it looks darker. It was either the black or clue background...but the missus prefers the black...I thought it looked better too.
Im going to be taking the leap also into EI with dosing dry ferts into the tank, just need to find a cheap supplier, although Im going to be looking in the store cabinets in the labs this week to see what I can "aquire" !!

John

Back