• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

journal oct 2009 new pic page 4

chilled84

:D GO STRAIGHT TO LAST PAGE FOR LATEST PIC! :D

GOT HORRID ALGAUE CREEPING IN. PIC HEAVY! EXSTREME PIC HEAVY! SORRY FOR DOUBLES, DIDNT MEAN TOO..

tank is 2 and half feet long by one foot high.
25w lighting,10 hours a day
co2 optimat 2 fills a day
easy car a 2mls a day
10 water change every 3 days, declorinated tap water.

Help me. I cant rid this horrid algau prob. Its creeping in. Its like dust. Thought it was bba but i think i got rid of that as its not realy black in couler. :(

100218800.jpg

1002191.jpg

100219100.jpg

1002195x.jpg

1002196u.jpg

100219500.jpg

100219600.jpg

1002198.jpg

100219800.jpg

1002203e.jpg

100220300.jpg

1002204p.jpg

100220400.jpg

1002208z.jpg

100220800.jpg

100218700.jpg

1002188m.jpg

1002209.jpg

100220900.jpg

Re: chilled84's 1st Planted tank

Ok, Here its is. Had a dilema this morn. My worst nightmare! Even after boiling loads last night with six or more fresh pots of water the wood i placed into my tank last night has leached and now i have tea couler water. lol.

Best way to sort this people?? 50% Water changes????

I realy liked the wood in there too. so nmow its in a bucket ov water soaking!!!!

just plenty of filter floss in your filter and add a bity of carbon for a day or two (dont dose ferts those days)

and yes lots of W/C's

That looks really nice.

I'd do a water change and carbon will help. It'll stop after a couple of weeks or so, tannins aren't a bad thing as such. It WILL stop after a while, just be patient.

your neons might prefer it, after all many fish dont come from places with crystal clear water, often tannins are natural.

Ok. Amazing comments. How much ov a water change you reckon?, and how often will be safe?.

Its an 80ltr tank. i would say with all the things in it its in totall a 65 ltr tank. I am running carbon inside my filter as we speak. Ill renew the carbon the afternoon.

Does anyone have any nice wood with will suit my tank??

carbon removes the ferts from the water.

Its the same principle when you are using meds, remove the carbon otherwise it absorbs the meds.
You could dose ferts but it would be a total waste. :D

HTH

Nick16 said:
Don't know where you got this info from but I'm afraid it is wrong. Although it does remove a small amount of the ferts we dose it's definetly not a reason to stop dosing. Somewhere there is a chart listing the amounts of various chemicals that are taken up by carbon.

James

Nick16 said:

Its the same principle when you are using meds, remove the carbon otherwise it absorbs the meds.

HTH

http://ukaps.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=6980&start=0&hilit=carbon+remove+ferts#p77766
ceg4048 said:
Yeah, folks really need to get over the whole "carbon removes nutrients" mentality. Carbon does 10X more good than harm. So what if it removes a little bit of nutrients? It's not the end of the world, just add more nutrients. End of worries. Fluval makes an excellent Carbon+Zeolite mixture which does a darn good job. Clear, clean water should be a goal. The penalty one has to pay is so minuscule - and is so fixable that it should be a no-brainer.

Cheers,

i stand corrected then, so how come it removed meds then?
when i used meds, it removed them from the water before i managed to do a w/c a few days later.

sorry for taking off topic.

Nick16, id send a PM to ceg, im just quoting what ive read on here.

Chilled, for me personally Id get some purigen in there and do 50% water changes every couple of days. the tannins will clear eventually, its just looks orrible is all :(

hes a member on the forum. If you re read the sentence it will make sense.

stuworrall said:
Nick16 said:

HTH

http://ukaps.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=6980&start=0&hilit=carbon+remove+ferts#p77766
ceg4048 said:
Yeah, folks really need to get over the whole "carbon removes nutrients" mentality. Carbon does 10X more good than harm. So what if it removes a little bit of nutrients? It's not the end of the world, just add more nutrients. End of worries. Fluval makes an excellent Carbon+Zeolite mixture which does a darn good job. Clear, clean water should be a goal. The penalty one has to pay is so minuscule - and is so fixable that it should be a no-brainer.

Cheers,
sorry, its ceg4048 whom I quoted on page 1 of this thread (as above)

Nick16 said:

HTH

only small amounts, it is more effective at removing medications.

ah, thanks for clearing that up aaron, having never tested it on ferts (i just followed advice i had been previously been given, believing it will remove ferts like it does meds). Well chilled, you have your answer, keep dosing as usual!

Back