• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Journey of the stones

Danny

So I'm starting this one early in the hope of sneaking another tank into the house without my mrs noticing lol

I've loved the look of Seiryu stone since I first started seeing it used years ago but never managed to find the ideal pieces that really grabbed me when I looked at them.

I recently ordered 15kg in the hope of making it work for me, it didn't. So....i ordered another 60kg lol

Well here it is! I can safely say there are a couple of pieces that really grab me even just holding them so I can't wait to get playing with them.

This is a thread in progress that will be updated as and when there are any developments, for now here is 75kg of rock lol

20171228_121140.jpg
20171228_121153.jpg
20171228_121216.jpg
20171228_121224.jpg
20171228_121233.jpg
20171228_121250.jpg

Update 4/1/18

This is now up and running in my original tank,

Tank: TMC Signature 600x450x300
Light: ADA Aquasky 601, 7hrs a day
Filter: Eheim 2213 external
Circulation: additional 300lph pump
Substrate: ADA Aqua Soil Amazonia
Decor: Seiryu stone & eucalyptus root
Ferts: TNC liquid carbon and Complete
Co2: Yes, FE.
Plants:
  • Alternanthera Reineckii ''Mini
  • Bucephalandra sp. "Deep Purple"
  • Bucephalandra sp. "Red"
  • Bucephalandra sp. "King blue"
  • Bucephalandra sp. "rainbow"
  • Bucephalandra sp. "saidil"
  • Bucephalandra sp. "wavy leave"
  • Bucephalandra sp. "mini black harund"
  • Bucephalandra sp. "mini harund"
  • Bucephalandra sp. "mini pagoda"
  • Bucephalandra sp. "Pink lady"
  • Bucephalandra sp. "Aridarum mini"
  • Bucephalandra sp. "mini varian"
  • Bucephalandra sp. "mini coin"
  • Cryptocoryne wendtii 'Rubella'
  • Cryptocoryne albida 'Brown'
  • Cryptocoryne beckettii "Petchii"
  • Cryptocoryne wendtii "brown"
  • Hygrophila pinnatifida
  • Monosolenium tenerum
  • Rotala rotundifolia 'Orange Juice'
  • Riccia fluitans
  • Vesicularia ferriei 'Weeping Moss'
  • Vesicularia sp. "Creeping Moss"
  • Vesicularia "Christmas Moss"
Note: plants and co2 on order and to be added.

Last edited:
Go big or go home i guess Excited to see what you make of it
I'm just too fussy when it comes to selecting pieces and figured it was the only way I would get a good selection to choose from as the shops within reach don't really have a big selection, now I have so much to play with it will probably be a while before I settle on something anyway.

I have a couple of lovely big bits of wood I might try and work with too.

Damn juicy stock. Make a mountain scape :)

Will be tricky to maintain your kh with a lot of seiryu. Are you going to use ro water?
I haven't thought that far ahead yet lol I guess it depends on if I use the current tank, get another the same or go bigger as ideally it would mean getting an RO unit if I wanted to stay anywhere near soft water.

I really fancy a 3ft for this but can't find a TMC signature 3ft tank only anywhere.

I am considering a Aquascaper 900 but I'm not convinced I like the extra depth front to back plus it wouldn't fit on my sideboard where my current Signature 600 is because of the depth.....

It's early days yet but I really want to use the wood and need to decide if I combine it with the Seryiu or just go rock only, it's a tough call at the moment plus the fact I'm considering tearing down my current tank to use that instead lol

Decisions decisions, too many decisions.

I haven't thought that far ahead yet lol I guess it depends on if I use the current tank, get another the same or go bigger as ideally it would mean getting an RO unit if I wanted to stay anywhere near soft water.

I really fancy a 3ft for this but can't find a TMC signature 3ft tank only anywhere.

I am considering a Aquascaper 900 but I'm not convinced I like the extra depth front to back plus it wouldn't fit on my sideboard where my current Signature 600 is because of the depth.....

It's early days yet but I really want to use the wood and need to decide if I combine it with the Seryiu or just go rock only, it's a tough call at the moment plus the fact I'm considering tearing down my current tank to use that instead lol

Decisions decisions, too many decisions.

I wish I had the depth of an aquascaper 900. Maybe even 60 cm! I am stuck at 27cm and 40cm depth in my scapes.

Take it slowly never rush the hardscape proces. Always when I make a hardscape in my wooden box I think this is it! Later when I look at it I am not so happy about it. And things could be better. I guess it will always be the case but you can improve it a lot when doing it slow. Good luck there are indeed Very many decisions.

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

I wish I had the depth of an aquascaper 900. Maybe even 60 cm! I am stuck at 27cm and 40cm depth in my scapes.

Take it slowly never rush the hardscape proces. Always when I make a hardscape in my wooden box I think this is it! Later when I look at it I am not so happy about it. And things could be better. I guess it will always be the case but you can improve it a lot when doing it slow. Good luck there are indeed Very many decisions.

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

I think realistically I'll end up with another Signature 600 as I've already got so will most likely make a sand box to play with for a while, I feel like I've already outgrown my current tank with my ideas but it is very simple to be fair and don't want that to happen again.

I would like something I can really work on and see develop over time so it has to be just right even if that takes weeks of playing with the hardscape in a sand box and another 75kg of stone to choose from lol

After a bit of consideration I decided not to run before I could walk and to focus on one tank and 're scape the current one before getting too carried away and making a mess of it, so here it is.

20180103_105603.jpg

One problem of the 're scape is the state of the Aqua soil Amazonia..... it will be removed and replaced.

But on to the more interesting info, I have ordered a load of plants for the new scape and re using the AR mini so really looking forward to what I can create now.

Exciting times ahead!

I have ordered;
  • Hygrophila pinnatifida
  • Riccia fluitans
  • Monosolenium tenerum

That driftwood has an amazing weight and presence. Looking forward to how this develops.
I have some great ideas especially with the weeping moss hanging off the branches, hopefully everything will work as I think it lol

Plant list updated with more ordered today, it's going to be a plantathon when they all arrive lol

• Alternanthera Reineckii ''Mini
  • Bucephalandra sp. "King blue"
  • Bucephalandra sp. "rainbow"
  • Bucephalandra sp. "saidil"
  • Bucephalandra sp. "wavy leave"
  • Bucephalandra sp. "mini black harund"
  • Bucephalandra sp. "mini harund"
  • Bucephalandra sp. "mini pagoda"
  • Bucephalandra sp. "Pink lady"
  • Bucephalandra sp. "Aridarum mini"
  • Bucephalandra sp. "mini varian"
  • Bucephalandra sp. "mini coin"
  • Hygrophila pinnatifida
  • Monosolenium tenerum
  • Riccia fluitans

Coming to you live from total carnage lol

Just couldn't except what the soil had become so have sived and rinsed it to rescue what I could until another 9L arrives, also looking at the array of plants on order I didn't feel I actually had the right planting space for them all so here we go again.

I might get fish in this by next Christmas lol

20180106_134506.jpg

So.... I completely changed my mind on this and am going for a Amazon/mangrove instead, I've had the first batch of plants delivered but still waiting for the bulk.

The tank is a mess lol wood still needs to sink which is weighed down currently and what plants have arrived are simply wedged in place and not in their actual places.

I'm away for a few days Friday so will drain, clean and plant everything properly next week when I'm back.

To give you an idea on where it's at.... I will be making a new journal once it's all sorted out, I also have my FE co2 system ready to connect.

20180109_182206.jpg

Dude, if i were you, i'd roll back to the original plan. So much stronger of a hardscape. Trust me, I have the same turbulent dilemas. Best of luck which ever way you go.

Sent from my HTC6545LVW using Tapatalk

Dude, if i were you, i'd roll back to the original plan. So much stronger of a hardscape. Trust me, I have the same turbulent dilemas. Best of luck which ever way you go.

Sent from my HTC6545LVW using Tapatalk
I was never completely happy with that last one, the more I looked at it and tried to think of it planted the more it didn't work.

That scape needs a bigger tank for sure which I already knew but I think tried to convince myself it was fine, what I have now I can see working with my vision of a lot of buces and moss everywhere with crypts on the ground and most likely some floating plants to diffuse the light a bit.....

I don't know lol I think I have totally over thought the entire thing and just confused myself.

Last edited:
Tank cleaned, new soil added and inline co2 connected and running.

A lot more planting and attaching to do next week but this is where it's at right now.

Full of o2 and co2 bubbles at the moment.

20180110_171856.jpg

Looks good Danny
I have to say I was disappointed when I saw you had stripped down the dragon stone landscape, I liked it.
Anyways, this looks full of potential - reminds me of a mangrove swamp.

Why does the substrate look gray? Did you mix something into the Amazonia you used before?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looks good Danny
I have to say I was disappointed when I saw you had stripped down the dragon stone landscape, I liked it.
Anyways, this looks full of potential - reminds me of a mangrove swamp.

Why does the substrate look gray? Did you mix something into the Amazonia you used before?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I did like the Dragon stone one but the more I read and learned the more I wanted to do and just couldn't with that, after a lot of confused ideas of more tanks/new scapes etc etc I figured I had to slow it all down and get to grips with everything but also have more options.

A lot of playing later I've settled on this which gives me a lot of room to "grow" my own experience as well as various other plants and mosses.

If I can create what I have in mind this will really be a great tank that's swampy/foresty looking with a great sense of depth looking into it.

The Amazonia is just absolutely covered in o2 from filling it so looks silvery, I figure once the tank gets up to temperature it will clear away gradually.

On the plus side I seem to be getting there with the co2 adjustments I think.

20180110_183107.jpg

20180110_182903.jpg

Back