• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

jumping fish help. quick reply needed.

Nick16

right, i planning to take the hood off my rekord 120, as i have serveral clip on lights lying around. also, i can then attach another external filter and it wil be easier for maintenece as i can just lift the clip on lights up. but they are only small and this would leave 90% of the tank surface open.

my question is i have a small community set up, with gold barbs, harleqins, neons, (black and normal) WCMM, platies, ottos, clown plecs and an apple snail.

now will any of these fish jump? (e.g are reknown for jumping?) and will the snail go above the water level (im sure it wont as it will die if it does that but some snails can store water so i wasnt definate)

so any help would be amazing. esp quick replies.

I think you'll be OK. The neons I'm not sure about, but I currently keep harlequin's, ottos and pentazona barbs in an open top. I had apple snails too until recently (sold, not escaped!). Never had any problems :) Apple snails I believe leave the water to lay eggs, someone may correct me on this. I have heard of snails wondering off and getting lost though :(

If in doubt, keep the water level a good couple of inuches below the rim (depending on your tank size) and see how you get on :) That might not stop the snails, but make it a bit more difficult for the fish to jump.

I think you'll be fine overall. The WCMM might jump a little, as might the Barbs and Platies but they're not known by any means to be prolific jumpers, just once in a blue moon.

As Steve said, Apple snails do exit the water to breed. I've never kept them and don't know that much about them, though.

Again, just keep the water level 2 inches or so from the top of the tank glass and you should be fine.

It might also be worth saying that if you find fish do jump, it might be a water quality issue. If you're going open top, bare in mind that things like spray on deodorant used nearby can cause problems. I think Garuf had this problem at one point with lampeye killies. Mind, lampeyes will jump at the slightest chance they get, and one jumping triggers the rest so I'm told :rolleyes:

right, i do only have the apple snail for that reason - i dont want loadsa babies. so hopefully that will eradicate that aspect. it will be the rekord 120 (120L) so i can afford to have the water level an inch or 2 below, however it may not look aesteticall pleasing, however since it will be in my bedroom and have a bare bottom it doesnt matter.

water quality should be fine with 2 30% W/C a week. and 2 externals making about 11x turnover on paper. also it will not be heavily stocked although i will add more ottos to my lonely 2 and add about 5 more harlequins to make a group of about 8. (maybe make it 10). also with the tank being bare bottomed it will be very easy to keep clean so water quality should be excellent. i will not have any plants apart from some java fern and anubias on wood. (so the plecs have somone to hide and rasp off)

cheers for your help gents.

deodrant is sprayed in large quantites inmy room , what with me and my mates being teenagers, but i will make sure it is not near the tank. cheers for the heads up on that one. (thumbs up)

Nick16 said:
however since it will be in my bedroom and have a bare bottom it doesnt matter.

That should be enough to stop them wanting to jump out :lol: :lol:

I've had problems with harlequins jumping (well, not actual harlequins, but the very slightly smaller ones - you know what I mean).

I think that both they and harlequins lay their eggs on leaves above the waterline, and so if they get in the mood and are in condition then you might start finding them on the floor in ones and twos. I don't keep them in open tanks any more.

Mark

Back