• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Journal Jungle pond project...

It's grown in a bit...

IMG_20190725_171307.jpg
IMG_20190717_212208.jpg
IMG_20190717_212030.jpg

Also some aquarium plants like Lileopsis and Sagittaria subulata can survive through winter. Although last Winter was fairly mild the Sagittaria survived Beast from the East the previous Winter.

IMG_20190725_170535.jpg

Having said that Rainbow Shiners do pretty well.... As do Medaka. Other fish are fantail goldfish and Rosey Red minnows.

Love the jungle effect.

Which Lilies are the pinks flowering ones coming out the water?

They are intergeneric crosses between Hardy waterlilies and tropical varieties.

The one I think you are referring to (above) is called Siam 1.

The ones behind it are normal cultivars. The deep pink is TanKwan, the lighter pink large flower is Sun fire and the ones in the back are Colorado.

I do have a few ISP waterlilies they are bluish pink through to purple.

Hey
Sanjay, long time since we have seen you on here, great to have you back.

I'm unsure how I missed this, looks stunning fella and will only get better year after year. Im sure you wont be surprised but by year 3 you will barely see any hardscape!

Hydrocotyle, rotala and myriophylum keep coming back year after year even after freezing in my tiny pond if you are after more 'tropical' aquatic plants.
I'm a big fan of sagina subulata between rocks as well, good full sun 'moss' with all summer long tiny white flowers

How are rainbow tanks going?

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Hi Ian,

still going but somewhat neglected. All have not received co2 injection for over a year and well there is a difference, but they still look OK, just not great.

Gone off the boil a bit with them, but I know the interest will return. Going to try auto dosing the 400l with liquid CO2 in the new year and see if it improves plant growth.

Sanj - do you overwinter the Rainbow Shiners outdoors or do you bring them indoors?

Apologies, I missed your post. I leave them out they seem to cope well. I did this after seeing some people on mainland Europe do the same, colder Winters over there.

IMG_20200506_132547.jpg
IMG_20200505_193837.jpg
IMG_20200501_160221.jpg
IMG_20200501_160347.jpg

I saw a bloody Heron on my neighbours roof a couple weeks ago.

Trying out various deterrents, not seen it again and no fish taken.

I have added Jikin and Watonai goldfish to the pond.

Early in the season it is only just starting to awake.

Looks amazing all grown in.
Oooh good choice of fish, they will look great with their long flowing finnage.
How do you feel about celestials and bubble eyes. They did very well in past ponds. Aswell as orandas and fantails.

Herons were a bane at MA, it would sit on the roof watching us. And move closer as we were shutting down. Or In a nearby tree watching us.
And then brazenly walk along the vats during the day. And ignore people. It ate a whole shipment of stertlets one evening.

I just threw stones at it, whenever I saw it nearby. But nothing would stop it, once it decided to eat the fish. Ripped thru all the netting we tried. Chicken wire with 2 layers of netting. Still would get thru it.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

Looks amazing all grown in.
Oooh good choice of fish, they will look great with their long flowing finnage.
How do you feel about celestials and bubble eyes. They did very well in past ponds. Aswell as orandas and fantails.

Herons were a bane at MA, it would sit on the roof watching us. And move closer as we were shutting down. Or In a nearby tree watching us.
And then brazenly walk along the vats during the day. And ignore people. It ate a whole shipment of stertlets one evening.

I just threw stones at it, whenever I saw it nearby. But nothing would stop it, once it decided to eat the fish. Ripped thru all the netting we tried. Chicken wire with 2 layers of netting. Still would get thru it.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

I really, really don't want that kind of Heron to visit.

I had not seen one in three years, but I have PIR water guns set up, fishing line around the perimeter and those horrid plastic things in the pond.

They are supposed to not like closed in spaces, I'm hoping I don't get any bold ones.

Mild winter hasn't helped in that regard, population usually takes a hit.

I struggled with Ryukins over Winter which was surprising, Fantails do better. Wakins, Jikins and Watonai are more like regular goldfish in body the former two a bit chunkier.

I am not keen on Celestials and Bubble Eyes, in but I don't think they are as robust as fantail goldfish. Oh I also have some high grade Bristol Shubunkins in there.

That is amazing Sanj. You must be very pleased the way it's worked out ;)

I am pleased, but constantly tweaking. There are things I would have done differently. The basic vision was a private "sub tropical oasis". I am not there yet. I think it will take some years.

Back