• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Just added fish, now I have algae!

Arturosito

Hello, after 2 months of starting my 25 gal tank I was able to get rid of most algae. I then added 14 ember tetras and now I'm having algae again, specially long green hair algae and black beard. This probably has to do with the fish addition, right?
I'm doing everything correct: I have a new RO unit, I'm using EI fertilizing, and have enough co2 and lightning. I'm wondering if this new algae bloom will naturally go away as the tank matures more and this bloom just has to do with the new fish addition.

How much are you feeding? Sounds like your overfeeding remeber fish produce waste only when fed. Try only feeding twice a week for a month or so. Should help balance the new tank. When adding fish to a newly cycled tank i usually don't feed for a week. Most adulr fish can go weeks on the food naturally producrd in a planted tank without any human interferance.

Interesting, is that healthy for the fish? I am feeding twice per day but very tiny amounts, crushed very fine cuz the ember like the particles small. What do you mean by food naturally produced by the planted tank? Is this a common problem in newly cycled tanks? as it matures it will be less so?

Reactions: 91
No its not problem in fact it guarantees once you feed they will take it no fuss. In the wild fish go through periods of plenty and drought.
Food produced in aquarium algae, biofilm and micro organisms, dietrus worms, daphnia, seed shrimp etc.
I go i. Holidays for 2 weeks no feeding no problems. :(

To be honest imo twice a day is too much unless fry. We as humans usually allways put more in than they require. You will never see a portly wild fish.
A healthy fish is a hungry fish. Allways picking and hunting.

Well, I did notice that despite what I thought was the right feeding I do see half of the embers have turned portly. I will reduce my feeding to once every 2 days. Does that sound good?

Does to me but i'm sure you will get a few varied responses and opinions on the causes and remedy of your algae issues. Got to love forums they are a vast resorce of knowledge and experiance. Its upto you to weedle out what makes sense and what doesn't.
Try it there not going to die of starvarion in 2 days.

No its not problem in fact it guarantees once you feed they will take it no fuss. In the wild fish go through periods of plenty and drought.
Food produced in aquarium algae, biofilm and micro organisms, dietrus worms, daphnia, seed shrimp etc.
I go i. Holidays for 2 weeks no feeding no problems. :(

That is really interesting. No fish in my 30 cm cube yet but I do have detritus worms and i have been thinking fish would find them juicy.

Back