• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Just another fertilisers dosing calculator

I have created another fertilisers dosing calculator for my own goals, but it might be useful for other people as well. My main goal was to have an open source helper that would use CLI (command line interface) instead of Excel (I don't have neither Excel nor Windows OS, and all other Office programs, even Excel for OSX do not work with the calculators I know). I was also interested about agricultural fertilisers: e.g. what happens if I add 10g of Miracle Gro in my fish tank. The current version supports the following features:
  • Load and represent elements from a trivial formula: e.g. KNO3 or CH4N2O and represent each element in a convenient form: P as PO4, P2O5; N as NO3, NH4 and so on
  • Calculate dry compounds or ready fertilisers dosage to your fish tank
  • Calculate solution based dosage
  • Dose to reach the target mode - how much CH4N2O (urea) or Miracle Gro you would need to add using dry/solution based dosing to add 10ppm of NO3 (yes NO3, not N) to your tank; and what other elements will be added in this case, yes
  • Extend built-in database of fertilisers using your own fetilisers description (in TOML format that is more or less human readable/writable)
The installation of this calculator might be a bit tricky (especially for Windows users) but it is expected to work on any platform and does not require anything except rust toolset to be installed.
Here is the repository with some documentation and examples: GitHub - vstakhov/fert-calc: Aquarium DIY fertilisers CLI calculator
I would appreciate any comments and suggestions and I hope that it might be useful not only for me :)

The main feedback that I have received was that many people struggle to run a console calculator. Hence, I have spent some more time and created a web version of this calculator. Please take a look at Fertilizers calculator if you are interested. My UI skills are very poor, so any suggestions are appreciated :)
A list of the pre-mixed fertilizers is pretty empty now (basically it has just those substances that I have in my sched) - please feel free to suggest additions if needed (the format is quite straightforward: fert-calc/fertilizers.toml at master · vstakhov/fert-calc).

Back