• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Just help!!! .... please šŸ˜

avyas

Seedling
Hello

Im trying to rescape my tank... planted heavily at the back with sand at the front (substrate and sand separated by stones).
I bought some fluval stratum and have 2 main issues:

1- theres ALOT of dust (but it clears quickly so not a deal breaker.
2- the plants donā€™t hold in the soil and are just floating to the top!!

the stratum doesnā€™t compress and unless I bury half the plant, I canā€™t get them to stay. The small and thin plants especially just float away.

itā€™s a nightmare to work with really... šŸ˜‚

should I just change the substrate or shall I just cover it with a membrane and hope for the best ?

Hello

Im trying to rescape my tank... planted heavily at the back with sand at the front (substrate and sand separated by stones).
I bought some fluval stratum and have 2 main issues:

1- theres ALOT of dust (but it clears quickly so not a deal breaker.
2- the plants donā€™t hold in the soil and are just floating to the top!!

the stratum doesnā€™t compress and unless I bury half the plant, I canā€™t get them to stay. The small and thin plants especially just float away.

itā€™s a nightmare to work with really... šŸ˜‚

should I just change the substrate or shall I just cover it with a membrane and hope for the best ?
I should add that the slightest of disturbance and I canā€™t see anything so itā€™s really difficult to plant the rest of the plants.
Even when I did have a membrane, the dust was a problem.

Hi,
did you plant before you filled the tank with water or are you trying to plant with the tank already full?
It is much easier and more successful to plant before adding water and then slowly fill. The soil will eventually compact slightly with time making replanting cuttings etc easier and lessen the dusting created when working.
Are you using planting tweezers or your hands?
If you plant the stems in on an angle there is more contact with the soil so less chance of uprooting. The plants will straighten in a day or two towards the light.
Good luck :)

I've just started a 30cm cube with stratum and due to circumstances (had to wait until the tank it's sitting on my sideboard with was due a large water change so I could safely move it) I did a very short dry start with the stratum just damp, and everything planted fine and didn't move when I filled it a few days later - it's trickier when it's flooded, but after 2 weeks of fidgeting plants around and adding to it, I've about cracked it -trim the roots, shove the plant deeper than you want with your tweezers and then lightly pull it up to the proper depth -some of my tiny runner forming plants look like they've been half buried, but they seem to be fine

In the past for stem plants in shallow substrate i have simple put a small dot of superglue near the base of the plant and glued on a pebble. The pebble is hidden under the substrate and between the friction and weight of the pebble the plant can stay.

Back