• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Just set up a Fluval 306 - EXTREMELY noisy

A thought, could the noise be cavitation as with a ships propeller?
If so it is not an air problem but a vacuum problem where the blades of the impeller create a vacuum & the noise is caused by the sound of the water rushing in to fill the void.

Perhaps just removing the sharpness from the trailing edge of the impeller blades might reduce the void / vacuum.

It's still making the annoying noise... has anyone had this problem before? I bought one of these because I heard they were silent. I seem to be having the worst luck lately

You do not need few days to get rid of that noise, its a few min business. Is the return pointed to inlet in the tank? I know a dumb question but take no chances...
And make sure intake tubing is firmly fixed and not sucking any air. I hope you are using their own piping and plumbing not the same for both filters.

Sent from my HUAWEI GRA-UL00 using Tapatalk

I'm using eheim tubing, no other brand. the outlet is the spray bar pointed towards the front of the tank. I don't think the inlet is sucking air

Nope, no air stone in the aquarium. The only thing could be my Juwel internal filter which is still running - but the outlet is pointing the opposite direction to the spray bar

Thanks for your help. I've tried doing all of that, every time I shake the filter a lots of bubbles come out the output, but they continue to do so even after I've done it a few time...

I'm downstairs right now. I can hear it in my bedroom on the floor above. A loud hum and constant rattling like there's something wrong with the impeller.

Somehow, it's even louder when the flow rate is set to zero?

Howdy, I can confirm that this is just trapped air. If you shake the filter and bubbles still come out that's all it is. Lift the pull pump bar when the filter is on this also realeases some.

I have the same filter and it's much better now but when I first bought this it took 4 days to clear. It will go don't worry and then it is silent

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It does have rubber feet, but none of them are missing. It sounds like the noise is coming from the top of the filter.

To give everyone an idea of what I'm talking about, I took a video:

That's happening all day... and night :banghead:

Leave that lever down and lift up the toggle next to it tell me if you see loads of bubbles coming out when you do

Howdy, I can confirm that this is just trapped air. If you shake the filter and bubbles still come out that's all it is. Lift the pull pump bar when the filter is on this also realeases some.

I have the same filter and it's much better now but when I first bought this it took 4 days to clear. It will go don't worry and then it is silent

Every maintenance, 4 days? It is not acceptable. It should clear in 4 min max.

I dont think you are so lucky to have two defective filters from worlds top 2 manufacturers, with the same defect.

Regarding your eheim, tighten the inlet joint near the bottom of the tank gently until you feel some resistance. Over tightening might break the filter and void any warranty. So be careful.
Let the inlet be in any awkward direction except facing down.

Remove media and try with empty filter with a pail of water.

Eheim 7477000 Threaded Inlet Elbow Connector 16mm-600x800.jpg
connector.jpg
images (4).jpg

I am referring to this.... it need not necessarily be pointing up as shown.

With my classic Eheim, I found that there were 3 main reasons for it to become noisy:
  1. Air in the filter (which becomes better if you shake the filter while it's running, unless you have badly fitted tubing)
  2. Restricted flow in the tubing (i.e. by slightly closing a tap on the quick release connectors)
  3. Hardware defect (like the one mentioned earlier by @KipperSarnie )
I noticed that, in the picture of your impeller, one of the blades (the one in bottom) seems to have a dark-ish corner... could it be from grazing against something?

That impeller was actually from the Fluval 306 I had which had the same problem... :( Unfortunately the eheim has shown no signs of quietening down so I'm going to purchase a new impeller and impeller shaft on friday.

Are you using the fluval ribbed hoses to test both the eheim and fluval filters???

If so my guess is you have a pin hole leak in one of the hoses which is pulling in air.

Its a common problem with the ribbed hoses.

Test with some new hose would be my first step.

Nope, I'm using the stock green Eheim hosing

Is the noise still there? I am pretty sure it's just trapped air. Mine was the same to begin with. I would really shake it and tilt it on each side etc. While it is on.

Have you tried lifting the primer when it's on and see a huge release of bubbles?

It will run silent it's just air. I would maybe drain and plug back in again and prime longer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That impeller was actually from the Fluval 306 I had which had the same problem... :( Unfortunately the eheim has shown no signs of quietening down so I'm going to purchase a new impeller and impeller shaft on friday.
Before you invest any further,
Remove the head and dip it in pail of water upto throat just as the way it will be when it is fitted on to the canister and see if the impeller still make that loud noise.

Yes means something wrong with impeller. You are entitled for replacement.

No means something wrong somewhere else. You need to address that issue if not same issue will be there with new impeller.

I will upload a video tonight what/how to do

Stop purchasing anything first.

Such a shame your LFS that sold you these filters is coming forward to resolve the issue for you.

Did you buy online?

Back