• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Just to clarify my WPG/WPL

RickB

So I have a 64l tank
61 x 31 x 42 cm

I have two 24w t5 ho bulbs, 1 is 10k white (tropical) the other is growth red.

I woked it out at around 2.5w per us gallon or 0.75w per litre.

How would you class this lighting? good? moderate? bad?

Something's not quite right, because those tank dimensions work out to about 79 litres, not 64.

On that basis I make it about 2.3W per USG, which is "high" lighting.

In order to avoid algae you'll need CO2 injection, EI fertilisation and very good flow.

http://www.juwel-aquarium.co.uk/Products/Aquariums/Rekord-Line/Rekord-600-GB.html
That is the tank (they actually have it at 63 litres, maybe the filter space takes up the other 16 litres?)

They have been set up a few days so far and no signs of algae but I have 6 hungry looking Oto's in there.

I am using TNC liquid carbon and TNC complete liquid fertiliser, flow may not be the best but I am going to upgrade to a 500l/h pump when I get the funds (currently 300l/h).

That is certainly too much light for no CO2 injection and will lead to problems down the line.

If by problems you mean algae, what type of algae am I most likely to encounter?

If by problems you mean algae, what type of algae am I most likely to encounter?

The first problem you will encounter will be plants melting and water quality deterioration which will probably soon be followed by algae

Plants were melting due to not enough light before ^^
I have slowly upped the amount of liquid carbon I dose daily to 3 times the rec dose, no negative effects on fish so far, no sign of any melting yet either.

I will continue to test the water 2 times a week.

Plants melting is not due to insufficient light, that normally causes the plant to drop leaves not melting. Melting is a signal of photosynthesis breaking down normally due to insufficient carbon. Liquid carbon helps and does allow you to use higher light than no carbon addition but it is not as efficient as CO2 so just keep an eye on the plants and the overall look at the tank. If you start to have problems consider lowering the light intensity/light period

When I say I had plants melting, it was really the bottom of the plants that were melting, leaving floating stems.

I do understand what you are saying though and will keep an eye on all plants and water parameters.

I do intend to get a co2 system next year some time when I redo the tank with better substrate (tetra active is not very nice looking and is quite big grain size).

Would upping the fertiliser to 2 times a week instead of once a week help also?
From what I understand the fertiliser we give plants is no good to algae is that right?

Also as a precaution I am going to reduce the light period by 1 hour from 7 to 6.

Last edited:
Back