• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Juwel 180 and spray bar woes

durtydurty

Good Evening,

I think I know the answer to this question already but Ill put it out there anyways...

I have a bow fronted Juwel 180 and amongst other problems I have a MA filter AquaManta 300 EFX external with the standard spray bar that reaches two thirds along the top of the tank and cant be moved over due to the plastic rim along the top.

The problem is all the flow seems to be concentrated out the first three holes of the spray bar leaving the rest of the tank without flow and plants motionless which is leading to dead spots and algae and rather woeful plants.

Firstly, I intend to get a powerhead Korali nano thing to increase flow in the area where the spray bar seems ineffective and secondly how can I increase the effectiveness of the spray bar?

Any help is greatly appreciated

HI Alastair

It does come out of the other holes but alot less than the first three, for example the sub surface water movement is noticeable on the first three holes and then after that not at all noticeable.

Had a tetratec EX 1200 before and that was fairly even across the entire bar.

Its a new filter having been set up for about 2 months so my next job was to have a look inside and make sure there isnt anything amiss there either.

Hi,

Id like to invest in a powerhead anyway to increase flow as I still think my plants would benefit and hopefully eliminate any dead spots

What size is advisable for my size tank? its a fairly small tank so dont want too it too powerful

The basic rule is considered x10 turnover so for 180l tank your looking at 1,800lph. I have just setup a rio 125 with an Eheim 2075 rated at 1250lph. Spot on you might say but the stated outputs are rarely achieved. Now I'm thinking I should have gone for something with a little more output to compensate.

This turnover can be achieved with a combination of filters and powerheads. You don't need to turn you tank into a washing machine just make sure all plants are gently swaying should be good enough.

Well people aim for ten times flow or their abouts, So your looking at getting a powerhead with something in the region of 1000 to 1500 litres per hour. I have a3000 litre an hour one in my vision 450 and there not massively powerful but very good on giving a wider spread flow

I have a juwel vision 180 also, I'm using a jbl e901 external filter with the supplied spray bar. The supplied spray bar is in 2 pieces and only reaches about half way across the rear of the aquarium I'm getting quite good movement all over the aquarium but not sure if I should extend the spray bar or get a circulation pump/powerhead just to boost flow as the filter only produces 900l/h and it's recommend that 10x flow is best and if the filter is less than 900l/h due to media etc would the hydor koralia nano 900 be adequate sorry to hijack this post for my own benefit also

durtydurty said:
Well there are areas of my tank where there isnt any movement at all on stems so think a powerhead is in order.

The model you have has a maximum flow rate of 1100lph. I doubt it would achieve more than 700lph. I am not sure who make them for Maidenhead Aquatics but one thing I expect is that they don't match the big boys like your old Tetratec or Eheims etc. They look very much like Aqua One Aquis and having owned one I can say that although the build quality is OK they have appalling flow. Having said that if yours is only enough to push it out the first three holes with any gusto there is a problem somewhere. Is the spraybar level ? Are there any kinks in the pipe (I am sure you would have checked that second one but ya never know , hehe). Have you used any of those horrid plastic 90degree flexi pipe elbows (the type that clip round the pipe to act as a guide for the bend), as they not only create a slight pinching of the pipe, but the 90degree also creates flow restriction).

I know you are happy to buy a powerhead to supplement your flow, but I think you ought to follow up on whether this filter is actually working properly too, especially as its not very old.

Good luck :)

Back