• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Juwel 180 - heater and media questions

leemonk

Hi,

I'll keep the question short as I find that I keep explaining why I need to know things and most of the time i drivel :wideyed:

My questions are in relation to the Juwel RIO 180 filer area and heater.

1. For some reason in the past I moved my heater out of the area that was designed for it within the enclosed filter area. As I am trying to tidy my tank up, I want to know if it will be just as effective back in the filter area, ie NOT exposed in the tank?

2. I am buying some new media for my filter but want to know how important the density and colours are to the filter pads that I purchase. Sure the manual gives you XYZ reasons, but it also tells you change remove and change them every three months which I know is wrong.

So, is the less dense(very holey) more effective at doing XYZ than the more dense(like a sponge)? Does the green one actualy remove more nitrates from the tank than the blue ones? If it does, is this a good thing as it means the plants dont get it?

3. I am sure I know the answer to this question, but should the carbon (black) being in the filter all the time?

I appreciate that there are a lot of questions here, but if possible (please please) I'd like a quick answer as I plan on purchasing the media this morning :oops:

Regards

Lee

The heater will be fine back inside the internal box. As for the internal sponges, I wouldn't be too fussed about getting the nitrate sponges, waste of money to buy the juwel branded ones. If you go onto http://www.finest-filters.co.uk/aquariu ... lter-media they make media specific for juwel tanks but really really cheap, you can also buy rolls of the filter wool, all with free shipping

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks. I sent them an email earlier this morning :)

What about the various thicknesses?

Also. do you know if the filter works from teh top downwards or bottom upwards?

Jewel filters work from the top down on the sponge side as the fine poly pad is on the top for debris removal and the pump draws from the second box and pushes the water back out into the tank.

Andy

Just as andy said.
What you could also do to save all the hassle is just buy a big filter bag or nylon tight. fill it full of cheap bio rings and Just use that inside in place of all the different sponges, with a thin foam ontop and a bit of filter floss on top.

I think that I'll stick with the filer pads for now.... I understaking, for me, a massive project and that just sounds like another thing that can go wrong for me.

If I looked to do that in the future, is it just as effective as the filer pads? I mean mine are usualy covered in gunk and I don't understand how the tights would handle that.

Regards

Lee

You'd have the big stocking full of bio media rings, and a sponge ontop of that with a fine wool pad ontop of that too so they'd be catching all the gunk.
Saves the constant pulling out the sponges every now n then to clean it all leading to the filter chucking out lots of crap when trying to do so. I always had that problem with my juwel internal.

Actualy, the chaps I sent a mail to have not replied, so this could still be an option for me.

I'll have a look at these bio rings. Which I assume are probably available on ebay.

Thanks.

Lee

Back