• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Juwel full spectrum new led

Fred13

I was ready to buy a twinstar SA900 till i saw this new juwel full spectrum light with the seperated control unit which let you control anything you like (intensity, color, sunset etc)

I think its the last product came up from juwel .

Now , i really cant decide ..
What do you think guys?
This new light looks that it has everything we need.

Looks interesting, brighter than equivalent T5 HO tubes.

742mm T5HO (for Vision 180, for example) is 2200 lumens, for two tubes is 4400lumens.

The HeliaLux (900mm for Vision 180) is 40W @ 140lm/W -> 5600 lumens (white only).

No details on controller or pricing, won't be cheap, but looks like the real deal LED lighting done properly.

Found the UK prices now...

The 920 for Vision 180 is £250.
https://charterhouse-aquatics.com/s...-helialux-led/juwel-helialux-spectrum-920-led

Controller is £144.
https://charterhouse-aquatics.com/s...wel-helialux-led/juwel-helialux-smart-control

Not convinced about the economics when price gets this high, £300 for equivalent 2 x T5HO tubes. Ok you get brightness & spectrum control, maybe LED shimmer.

Assuming 8 hours per day and electricity @ £0.17 per KWh, HeliaLux @ 40W costs 40/1000 * 8 * 365 * 0.17 -> £20 a year to run.
Two equivalent T5's @ 70W -> 70/1000 * 8 * 365 * 0.17 -> £34 a year.

A T5 light unit costs £100, so £200 cheaper.

Even assuming your replace the T5 tubes after 2 years (which of course is not necessary, but a myth they should be :rolleyes:), you would only beak even on cost in 6 years..!!
(assuming T5 tubes @ £20 each -> no of years = £200/(£14 [cost saving]+ £20[tubes per year]) -> 5.8 years.)

To be honest , i dont really care about consumption .. I understand your thoughts and thank you for the detailed analysis. I want to change to led for aesthetic reasons. I believe that rgb leds produce far more beautiful colors into the tank than t5 bulbs. I had various different combinations of t5 but i cant catch the same color quality as an rgb led.
Last but not least, dimmer is a huge advantage.. I dont care about sunset etc etc, but reducing the light is a big deal as you can increase or decrease the light depending your needs...

So my question now is ...twinstar ? or this?!
Thank you;)

If you have a Juwel tank, then this light is the way to as simple to fit. Remove tank flaps, whip out old lighting bar, put in Juwel LED bar, add tank flaps back, job done.

I don't have a juwel tank but juwel led has a universal adaptor for all the tanks .
So?
Which of two you think it's better ?
Twinstar uses some nichia LEDs if I am telling this right

I wonder if this light would fit a fluval roma properly? anyone know if juwel and fluval lids are the same?

I don't have a juwel tank but juwel led has a universal adaptor for all the tanks .
So?
Which of two you think it's better ?
Twinstar uses some nichia LEDs if I am telling this right

Not that familiar with the Juwel ones but i know Twinstar well. I wouldn’t hesitate to get the Twinstar with the controller to give you sunrise/sunset. Proven performer. Hands down.

Bit confused why you are considering Juwel light when you don’t have a Juwel tank?

Not that familiar with the Juwel ones but i know Twinstar well. I wouldn’t hesitate to get the Twinstar with the controller to give you sunrise/sunset. Proven performer. Hands down.

Bit confused why you are considering Juwel light when you don’t have a Juwel tank?

This juwel light is like all of those led that you can fit on your tank . It just fits on all rimless tanks .
I am sure twinstar is a proven performed and a nice led but for what controller you are talking about ?
The only thing I find for twinstar is some no name dimmers which can help you set the brightness at desired levels .

This juwel light is like all of those led that you can fit on your tank . It just fits on all rimless tanks .
I am sure twinstar is a proven performed and a nice led but for what controller you are talking about ?
The only thing I find for twinstar is some no name dimmers which can help you set the brightness at desired levels .

Controller is below. You want the pro one, so much better than standard one.

To fit the S light you need an adaptor to change it from 2.1mm to 2.5mm. Hey presto full sunset and sunrise settings, also control the light by percentage. The S light is a few leagues above the Juwel one I think :)

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/S2-PRO-A...hash=item23ac5bd7c5:m:myHyKWB9N7nmyzfB4_non4w

http://cpc.farnell.com/pro-power/jr1833/adaptor-dc-power-2-1mm-s-to-2/dp/PW02774?ost=Pw02774&ddkey=http:en-CPC/CPC_United_Kingdom/search#

For me energy efficiency is about reduced energy footprint not how many T5 bulbs I don’t need to buy ;)
so LED technology just makes sense

I like Juwel products but do wish they’d included a basic slow ON/OFF in their HelioLux series (it’s just a lot kinder to the fishes) or brought their controller out at the £100 level

If you watch George Farmer’s Interzoo 2018 Series, one video showcases Dennerle & Juwel so you can see the HL Spectrum in action
Cyberzoo’s unboxing video is worth a look

This video from GreenAqua shows the difference between ADA Aquasky Moon changed over to Twinstar S
- I prefer the ADA light

For me energy efficiency is about reduced energy footprint not how many T5 bulbs I don’t need to buy ;)
so LED technology just makes sense

I like Juwel products but do wish they’d included a basic slow ON/OFF in their HelioLux series (it’s just a lot kinder to the fishes) or brought their controller out at the £100 level

If you watch George Farmer’s Interzoo 2018 Series, one video showcases Dennerle & Juwel so you can see the HL Spectrum in action
Cyberzoo’s unboxing video is worth a look

This video from GreenAqua shows the difference between ADA Aquasky Moon changed over to Twinstar S
- I prefer the ADA light
Controller is below. You want the pro one, so much better than standard one.

To fit the S light you need an adaptor to change it from 2.1mm to 2.5mm. Hey presto full sunset and sunrise settings, also control the light by percentage. The S light is a few leagues above the Juwel one I think :)

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/S2-PRO-A...hash=item23ac5bd7c5:m:myHyKWB9N7nmyzfB4_non4w

http://cpc.farnell.com/pro-power/jr1833/adaptor-dc-power-2-1mm-s-to-2/dp/PW02774?ost=Pw02774&ddkey=http:en-CPC/CPC_United_Kingdom/search#

Thank you guys..
So finally, what do you suggest me to buy? The twinstar sa 900 or the juwel spectrum?!

Both lights do look amazing but i like that you can control juwels colors via the software.
In this interzoo video colors are very nice

Given the relative costs I’d likely choose the Juwel system
- comes in 100cm length so you’ll have more even light distribution at the edges of your tank
- includes a decent controller within the same price

Disadvantage - if you want to elevate the LED unit above the tank, you’ll need to modify “legs” - as it’s designed to sit within the Juwel system hoods, the “universal fit adapter” just adds a metal extension allowing it to sit on the frame of your aquarium
- unlike the Twinstar which sits several cm above the water surface

Twinstar 900 S lists 65watt
Juwel HL spectrum lists 48watt
BUT depending upon LEDs (& internal reflector, lens etc) the actual PAR may be very similar

Neither company lists PAR, Twinstar does support display tanks eg, Aquaflora showcased a Twinstar tank at Interzoo 2018
Filipe Oliveira video

You might ask Juwel for details of their Interzoo 2018 display aquariums which I believe included (3 or more) HL Spectrum tanks

Given the relative costs I’d likely choose the Juwel system
- comes in 100cm length so you’ll have more even light distribution at the edges of your tank
- includes a decent controller within the same price

Disadvantage - if you want to elevate the LED unit above the tank, you’ll need to modify “legs” - as it’s designed to sit within the Juwel system hoods, the “universal fit adapter” just adds a metal extension allowing it to sit on the frame of your aquarium
- unlike the Twinstar which sits several cm above the water surface

Twinstar 900 S lists 65watt
Juwel HL spectrum lists 48watt
BUT depending upon LEDs (& internal reflector, lens etc) the actual PAR may be very similar

Neither company lists PAR, Twinstar does support display tanks eg, Aquaflora showcased a Twinstar tank at Interzoo 2018
Filipe Oliveira video

You might ask Juwel for details of their Interzoo 2018 display aquariums which I believe included (3 or more) HL Spectrum tanks

Hello and thank you for your help.
Do you have any idea on how can i modify the legs to get the light several cms higher above the water surface? It turns me off that it is so close to the water level.
Also, i see that the twinstar S may have a good color rendition but everything look somehow purple? Is it my eyes or everything under this fixture have a reddish tint?
I am planning of having la plata sand into the tank and i dont want to buy an expensive light that makes this sand looks reddish ;)

I have 3 Twinstar S lights. They do have a red hue but won’t change your substrate drastically. Video from AG to give you an idea.

Pretty academic now as the S light has changed to less red hue. Now called Twinstar S Classic. Both old ones and new are nice though.

I have 3 Twinstar S lights. They do have a red hue but won’t change your substrate drastically. Video from AG to give you an idea.

Pretty academic now as the S light has changed to less red hue. Now called Twinstar S Classic. Both old ones and new are nice though.

Thank you.
It looks nice but still .. look at this white substrate. Is more at the red side now ..
Look at the left tank. White is white with the E version..

How can i separate the old twinstar with the new version ?

Back