• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Juwel HeliaLux Light Unit Rant

DogTailRed2

I have two Juwel HeliaLux Light Units running on a Juwel 450 aquarium.
One of the light units has water ingress due to moisture from an air stone and has lost the blue spectrum plus a dead spot one end.
I've contacted Juwel but am really annoyed that these expensive light units are not water resistant.
At £350 each I just can't afford to keep replacing them every two years.

Anyone else experienced this problem?

I have two Juwel HeliaLux Light Units running on a Juwel 450 aquarium.
One of the light units has water ingress due to moisture from an air stone and has lost the blue spectrum plus a dead spot one end.
I've contacted Juwel but am really annoyed that these expensive light units are not water resistant.
At £350 each I just can't afford to keep replacing them every two years.

Anyone else experienced this problem?

Yeah, this shouldn't happen at all with lights like that... I do not own the light, but perhaps - short of a refund or warranty claim - you could add a bit of silicone or similar water resistant compound along those seams where moist gets in? Just an idea.

Cheers,
Michael

So a good ending to this story.
I contacted Juwel UK who asked for details and told me to send it back to where I purchased.
So sent it back to Aquarium Supplies Online | Aquacadabra who replaced it for me within a few days.
Great service all round.
Interesting. My 1200mm Helialux on a Vision 260 tank also filled with water droplets from an airstone's bubbles and I lost over half the LEDs, mainly at one end. It was over three years old, so I accepted the failure, though I did contact Juwel to seek re-assurance before buying a new unit. I heard nothing from Juwel, but was 'all-in' with the Juwel Smart Controller so went ahead and bought a new Light unit. Now the fun part.....The new light unit wouldn't fit the controller because one of the five pins had stuck inside the controller female connector. Closer examination showed a the connector to be in perfect condition, free of any corrosion, and the sealing rings still in place. So I now have a new Helialux unit at a cost of £275 and a £120 controller which will need to have the connector removed to be usable. This will also require me to remove the connector on the light unit to make 'manual connections'. This I can do without any problem, but will invalidate the warranty on the newly purchased light. I'd assumed that Juwel kit would be the best available and it does work extremely well, but these failures are not acceptable and reflect poor design.

Incidentally, for a little over 4 years I've had a £25 NICREW LED light on my Nano tank with a £15 NICREW controller. They work brilliantly and have no signs of failing or any design issues.

You get what you pay for.....really?

Back