• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Juwel Helialux Smart control help

davidgorman74

Hi, We have setup a new planted tank. We have issues with algae which we are told is down to too much light. Could anyone advise on the best configuration for the controller for adjusting colours and timings please?

It would help if you could provide information on current lighting times, intensity, size of tank, fertilisation regime and what ferts you are using. Also, size of tank and size of helialux unit. Is your tank planted, perhaps a picture as well.

Hi, The tank is a Juwel Rio 180. The Helialux until is the 1000 (1mtr). I am asking for advice on lighting times, intensity and the colour options. Yes the tank is planted, its been up and running for 2 weeks

I have the helialux and a TriSpec HO LED. I have both on at 100% for 7hrs per day and have no algae issues. Lighting alone is not the cause of algae, hence my questions about fertilisation etc. If your tank is so new, how often do you change your water. You’ll get most help from the folks here by providing as much info as possible, so that they can help diagnose the issue and provide useful advice.

For the first week I changed water 50% everyday, then every 2 days for the 2nd week and we now on every 3 days. I use TNC complete once a week, Phyton Git plus after every water change

100376855_591880688099661_7832064333898055680_n.jpg

Reactions: Ray
I bought that filter system because of the restrictive space in the cabinet, would prefer one of the Tase Biomaster ones but they are too wide

It’s a lovely scape - will be wonderful when those ferns grow in.

You’ve got a blue drop checker there - 48watts of LED is quite high light so that will definitely lead to algae if you run it before the CO2 is distributed! How does it change colour over the lights cycle and how long before lights go on are you starting CO2? 2 hours before would be good - you really want it green when the lights come on and also for it to stay the same green from 2 hours until end of light cycle.

Ah, I hadn’t seen the drop checker. Yes, that should be green.

In my case, I have much more flow, comparatively, than you. My tank is 240 ltr, and I pump 2700ltr per hour. My CO2 is evenly distributed as I can see the micro bubbles all over the tank. I also ramped my light up over a period of time after I first set up the tank. I think I ran it at 50% for the first few months and slowly increased to 100% and then added the second light.
So, in your case, I’d add a flow pump, perhaps put it above the co2 diffuser so that the micro bubbles get sucked into it and distributed. Start your co2 2 hours before light on as @Ray suggests and check that your co2 checker turns green. Perhaps you might consider putting your light to 70% or only having a 5 hour photo period to start with as well.

It’s a lovely scape - will be wonderful when those ferns grow in.
I agree. :)
Also agree with the advice given.
A pH profile would also be useful, you check the pH every hour, starting before CO2 on-time, until lights-off time. The results give an idea of how much CO2 is actually in the water, and any undue fluctuation.

Thanks that’s an older picture, the drop checker is green all the time. Yep co2 comes on 2 hours before and off 1 hour before lights out, do you think the filter is not man enough then? What do you recommend for a flow pump?

Also on the jewel controller you can modify white/blue/green/red colours any guidelines for this setup or is just person preference?

The filter is fine for filtering, but it doesn’t turn enough water over for the flow that you need in a high tech tank. Have a look at the hydor nano 900, or the sicce voyager nano. They do 900-1000 ltr per hour. You could pop a couple of those in, or one more powerful one. I prefer smaller flow pumps a sit makes it easier to distribute the flow rather than have a jet stream in one area and dead areas in other parts.

You need to aim for 10 x flow of your tank volume, so 1800ltr. You could get a 1600 pump, which together with your filter will give you more than enough.

Back