• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Juwel heliolux

Happy to do some pruning for the sake of a more natural light cycle, just didn't want it to be an inferior light compared to my current T5's.
Does it look as natural as the T5's btw?
Yeah very natural in my opinion. My plants totally changed colour you can see the different shades of green on different plants. With t5s just seem to be all one bright green

How's it going everyone? Just wanted to check in and ask how these lights are performing?
I've done change of plants and bought more. Plants popping more than ever.
Also setup co2 so hoping to get some good growth.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey.. mine are going great I've turned them right down to 65% plants doing very well still get a small bit of algae but nothing to worry about.

What co2 did you go for??

Was thinking about it a little while ago.

Wonder if Halley ever got there lights from that website!!

No I didn't get the lights so I am still using t8s. However I got my money back after countless phonecalls to Germany. I'm still recovering from that ordeal!

Hey.. mine are going great I've turned them right down to 65% plants doing very well still get a small bit of algae but nothing to worry about.

What co2 did you go for??

Was thinking about it a little while ago.

Wonder if Halley ever got there lights from that website!!

I went for the standard FE route with a JBL inline diffuser.

So far plants are adjusting and a lot greener and funnily enough,.. not growing like crazy

Hi, just joined the forum. I have these lights too, have had for a while now. Wishing I had this much info when I bought them.

Currently running them at 50% in my Rio 180 at 2 photo periods, 4 hrs each, however they won't turn themselves for the second period and I need to open the options in the controller and then exit, at which point the come on. Weird.

Anyway, looking around for a co2 set as I really want some red plants.

Question on lighting is, will longer low light periods, say 10% for extended hours, 7-2, then full light until 10, then low to 11:30, cause an issue. Is even that little light eviugh to cause algae? Reason being I would like to see me fish before and after work and have very long days most if the time and the light controller doesn't seem to like running dual periods.

All help welcome.

Hi I'm not entirely sure whether that would cause problems but I would assume not at the moment I have mine set to the factory settings and was looking to any of the members that have posted there profiles for the controller and was wondering what happens with the lights between the gaps in your profile for example;

Timbuk2 yours is
Dawn 0800-1000 white 0.5%- blue 60%
Sunrise 1100-1200 white 85%- blue 100%
Sunset 1730-1930 white 5%- blue 80%
Dusk 2030-2130 white 0%- blue 100%

What happens between 10 and 11. I haven't long had these lights on my trigon and haven't had time to play with the settings yet.

Any info would be great, thanks

I've just upgraded my Vision 260 to these, only had them a couple of weeks but really pleased so far. The light intensity doesn't seem that much different from the standard T5s, but the sunrise/sunset/moonlight options available using the controller are brilliant.

With the T5s I had a six-hour photoperiod, 4pm-10pm.

I now have:

Dawn 1400-1500 white 0%, blue 60% (a.k.a moonrise)
Sunrise 1500-1700 white 100%, blue 100%
Sunset 2100-2300 white 0%, blue 60%
Dusk 2300-2355 white 0%, blue 0% (a.k.a moonset)

So I've moved from 6 hours of full brightness to 4 hours of full brightness and 4 hours of sunrise/sunset transition at an average intensity of 50%.

I've cranked my CO2 up to (hopefully) take advantage of the "better" lighting, if indeed it is better.

Ben, if you have gaps between the phases then the light just stays at whatever it was at the end of the previous phase, e.g. between 1700 and 2100 on mine ("daytime") I have 100% white, 100% blue.

Last edited:
Finally took the plunge. Have to say very pleased with the new lights and how easy they were to set up with the controller.
Fish seem to be behaving more naturally and are now not jumping when the light goes on and off. Nice to see my hatchets less stressed and swimming higher for longer.

I really like the fact that they gradually build up to the full intensity rather than a big leap between programmes.

Was disappointed that when trying to support my LFS they were going to charge me over £50 more for lights and controller and could give me no order date so Charterhouse it was. I'm happy to pay a little extra but not that much.

Hi I'm not entirely sure whether that would cause problems but I would assume not at the moment I have mine set to the factory settings and was looking to any of the members that have posted there profiles for the controller and was wondering what happens with the lights between the gaps in your profile for example;

Timbuk2 yours is
Dawn 0800-1000 white 0.5%- blue 60%
Sunrise 1100-1200 white 85%- blue 100%
Sunset 1730-1930 white 5%- blue 80%
Dusk 2030-2130 white 0%- blue 100%

What happens between 10 and 11. I haven't long had these lights on my trigon and haven't had time to play with the settings yet.

Any info would be great, thanks
Because the light is always changing "like the sun" so from 10 till 11 the light doesnt change colour. Hope this helps sorry for the late reply

Hi, I'm new here and I need your help.
I just got my Rio 300 couple of days ago and it came with 4 H-lite T5 each 54W and I bought one Helialux 1200.
Will plant HC cuba carpet aling with some easy to medium plants, will inject Co2, the tank is 350L.
Shall I add one more Helialux 1200 or stay with the one I have with the 2 T5 day light that came with the tank or change the day light with colour T5.
Thank you in advance

Does anyone know if the Helialux unit provides a shimmer to the tank?
I just bought the Juwel T5 unit to upgrade the dead T8 unit on my vision 180 an was planning to buy the Arcadia Freshwater T5 LED tubes to fit on it as they claim to provide a shimmer. Now that I've come across the Helialux i'm in limbo what to go with.
If anyone has had experience with the Arcadia T5 LED tubes it'd be really helpful to hear their experience with them.
Cheers!

I changed my T5's to the Helialux system on my Lido 120 and really wish I had done it sooner. The lighting is much more controllable and appears a lot more natural as well as bringing the fish colours out really well (my Cardinals now look amazing)

With the addition of the controller my fish no longer jump when the lights come on or off which I think has resulted in them being less stressed.

I haven't had much to compare it to but I would say the lights do create a nice shimmer effect and they are a lot better than the effect I got previously with a Superfish Home 40 I had.

I have also found that plants which have red pigment in them seem to respond well and grow with these lights which they never did with my previous T5's, my Tiger Lotus is very happy.

There is also a lot more room at the top of the tank when doing maintenance due to the lack of bulbs that previously reduced the space that was available.

Hope that helps.

I changed my T5's to the Helialux system on my Lido 120 and really wish I had done it sooner. The lighting is much more controllable and appears a lot more natural as well as bringing the fish colours out really well (my Cardinals now look amazing)

With the addition of the controller my fish no longer jump when the lights come on or off which I think has resulted in them being less stressed.

I haven't had much to compare it to but I would say the lights do create a nice shimmer effect and they are a lot better than the effect I got previously with a Superfish Home 40 I had.

I have also found that plants which have red pigment in them seem to respond well and grow with these lights which they never did with my previous T5's, my Tiger Lotus is very happy.

There is also a lot more room at the top of the tank when doing maintenance due to the lack of bulbs that previously reduced the space that was available.

Hope that helps.
This is music to my ears! Thank you so much, you've saved me time and money from buying and trying the Arcadia t5 LEDs... I'll be listing the t5 unit and putting the helialux in my basket

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Hi. Really interesting thread on the Juwel led. I've been running these on my lido 200 for a few months now and I'm so pleased with it. I have a long dawn period as I get up early for work and like to see my fish. The shrimp LOVE having a sunrise, this must be the time they are most active in the wild as they're always going nuts first thing then vanish off to graze during the day.
The light you get from the LED is very natural. Not overly bright but my plants are doing great with only a small amount of algae on the glass each week.
I also love the shimmer from the blue light at night time.
A fantastic upgrade to a Juwel aquarium. Well worth the money I'd say.

Thanks for the interesting comments.

Pete.

So at what phase of the light cycle do you set the C02 to come on ?
Sorry if this sounds a stupid question but I am very new to co2 and just about to set up my first Co2 aquarium so trying to gain as much knowledge as possible.

sorry I meant to say with using the Helialux system, rather than just turning the lights on and off at certain times.
Would the best way be using a PH controller to regulate the Co2 as the lights wouldn't be going on and off so to speak more following the normal day night pattern

Back