• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Juwel Nitrate (Green) sponge

jonathan.k

Seedling
Hey all,
I have a Rio-125 which is reasonably heavily planted - I use DIY CO2 and easy carbo - but I still get some fairly significant algal growth on both plants and the tank background.

I was wondering if the Juwel Nitrate sponge would help sort out the algae by lowering nitrates or if it would starve all my plants of their nitrates.

Thanks for any help
Jonathan

You don't mention what fertilisers you dose, please can you let us know what, how much and how often you dose.

Generally, it's ammonia either from fish poop or decaying plants that cause algae. The signs for algae could be a signal that your plants are not healthy.

Have a look through the algae guide that is linked in my signature as finding out which algae it is can point to what you need to fix.

You don't say what type of algae it is...

Lowering your nitrate levels wont help as excess nutrients don't cause algae, and if your plants starve you'll just be adding to the problem.

You'll probably find its caused by inconsistent co2 levels due to your DIY co2. On larger tanks you'd be far better with a pressurized system.

Welcome to the mad house btw.

im pretty sure its a nitrite sponge, either way, i have no belief that it works.

Hey thanks for the help so far,

The algae is generally hair/fuzz algae looks a bit like blanket weed/Cladophora but isnt as dark green. I know a pic would help but I currently dont have a camera.

I dose about: 1/8 teaspn Potassium Nitrate per day
1/8 teaspn Potassium Phosphate every other day
1/8 teaspn Micronutrients every other day (all from aquaessentials dry ferts)

I replace the DIY CO2 yeast etc about every 6days and try to dose more aqua carbo as the bubble rate slows

Thanks

Back