• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

juwel rio 180 before i empty it

mbezik

Seedling
fPlxO

gotta empty the 180 to move it to another wall in the living room to make space for the new rio 400 (thats the 400's cabinet you can see infront), im hoping i dont destroy too many plants. i was thinking if i take 90% of the water out i might be able to slide cabinet and tank to the opposite wall without pulling the tank down.
if anyone has any tips that might help me with the move itd be much appreciated, its only moving about 10ft in the same room.

What flooring have you got? We've (well, mostly hubby sitting on the floor and using his legs!!) managed to slide a virtually full Rio 300 and a Vision 450 across laminate flooring. Moving our Rio 180 was a doddle after those two!! Carpet would make things a lot harder but two strong people should manage it 1/3 - 1/2 full I would've thought.

Viv

yeah its carpet, but that gives me hope, yeah im a pretty hefty guy myself and ill have the help of an equally strong friend. if i can leave 1/3 of the water thats gonna make the job a lot easier than i anticipated.

thanks for the headsup, i dont feel half as filled with dread as i did before

any mileagea in straps under the cabinet to lift it slightly then slide it ? Or with enough muscle, lift and shuffle ?

yeah im thinking more small lifts/shuffles and slides, sliding might lift the carpet but ill see which is gonna work best, ive got till thursday morning when the tank gets delivered to get it moved - ill take the water down to a level where the fish are ok and hopefully the stems dont snap on the plants and see how well it moves

Kudos on the tank mate, it looks great! :thumbup:
Are the stems in the back Stellata? Do you dose any additional ferts to bring out the red in your plants?

thanks, ive been kinda using this tank as a learning setup, to hone my skills and see what i can and cant grow, so far im finding anything i put in seems to grow great with the exception of pogo helferi that one of my fishes seemed to get a taste for and the pogo erectus that also got munched down to the substrate but the stellata you mentioned is doing amazing and so far isnt getting bothered by the fish (im considering running my next tank fishless, or just a cleaning crew) - i dose using the EI method using dry salts daily.

ive been kinda using this tank as a learning setup, to hone my skills and see what i can and cant grow

SNAP! Me too. :lol: I have been having alot more success recently now that I understand more about equipment, and how to best utilise it? I think that was half the battle initially to be honest?

I have recently planted some Stellata. I blagged it for nothing from a LFS because it had started to melt away. It has taken a week or so but I can see some new growth, and some off shoots. I hope it succeeds, it`s a lovely plant? I had no luck with Erectus either. It was in the early days though so would love to have another crack at it?

Don`t know about you but this site has saved me a small fortune. I was about to pack in 6months back with the constant paying out for branded fertilisers, disposable co2 cannisters, expensive tubes etc. :thumbup:

mbezik said:
yeah im thinking more small lifts/shuffles and slides, sliding might lift the carpet but ill see which is gonna work best, ive got till thursday morning when the tank gets delivered to get it moved - ill take the water down to a level where the fish are ok and hopefully the stems dont snap on the plants and see how well it moves

OMG !! Lol. I have just realized who you are !!! I was just this evening looking at your video's on you tube :) Your tank has been looking awesome in those videos :thumbup: And you win instant kudos with me mate as you are an Apistogramma fan hehe. How have you found them with the shrimp in your aquarium (Im sure I did see some right, or am I going fishtank stir crazy, lol).

thanks Graeme, yeah thats what im hoping now that i have everything dialled in and growing well, i can just sit back and watch this tank fill out now, with my new rio 400 im aiming for a much more structured scape.
thanks antipofish, yeah ive been documenting my tank on youtube for a while now, all the way from my first ventures into the planted side of the hobby when i had simple pea gravel using low tech, to the current incarnation using pressurised co2, EI and more plant specific substrates.
as for the apistos, yeah i have no problems with them and my shrimps, i tend to stay away from the smaller types of shrimp such as rcs etc. and mainly keep amano's and a few other of the larger freshwater shrimps, unfortunately i had a minor disaster with my solenoid timer sticking on and the co2 level quickly reached a level overnight that killed all my filter feeding shrimp, devastated!
Even the pair of niger yellow pelvicachromis taeniatus that i have in this tank (female pictured in my avatar) never bother any of the shrimp. ive moved some of the apistos from this tank now and they have their own individual breeding tanks, only have my pair of viejita sp.II in with the taeniatus now.
my agassizi fire reds just had another batch of fry in their biotope tank the other day, double edged sword as i was literally minutes from starting to drain the tank to turn it from the sand wood and leaf litter setup into another planted setup with flourite sand, i noticed the female acting in a manner i recognised, and on closer inspection she had a swarm of free swimmers around her, happy about the fry, not so happy that ive gotta wait to rescape the tank.

Don't know if you have moved it yet but have an idea to help with sliding over carpet or any other surface - get some 'magic glides'.

Wickes and B&Q do them in packs of four. Use a brick bolster or similar to lift the corner enough to get the slider underneath all four corners and 'presto hey'! Slide it across the room. Have them fitted under all my furniture, simple one person push for all of it.

Back