Juwel rio 180 filteration

Discussion in 'Filters, Filtration and Pumps' started by mlgt, 8 Jul 2009.

1. mlgt

mlgt Member

Hi there,

I am after some advice.

I am wanting to upgrade my filter to an external filter. As you can see it is a 180l tank and I have the standard internal filter that came with the tank.

Any suggestions on a decent (somewhat quiet) filter. I am hoping to keep some discus in there as my current 77l tank houses cardinals and rams.

Please help.

2. johnny70

johnny70 Member

Fluval 405 is an excellent filter

3. Steve Smith

Steve Smith Member

What's your budget? Can highly recommend an EX1200, but for discus, I suspect you need pretty good filtration...

4. Joecoral

Joecoral Member

Unless you're going for a breeding pair of discus I would say a 180l is a little on the small side for discus. 5 in a 50/55gal is the absolute minimum I would say.
    If the discus are the only fish and you do very large and/or very frequent water changes you may just get away with it however.

In regards to filters, a Tetratec 1200 or an Eheim 2026/2028 would do the job
    I have a rio 180 and I have an eheim 2026 and it's virtually silent

5. mlgt

mlgt Member

Im not after a breeding pair, but would like to own more discus in the future.

Currently have around 15 cardinals, few amanos, 2 corys, 2 plecs and 4 rams in my tank.

Its overstocked, but my arguement is that my current tank was a few hand me downs from friends as the fish were either getting bullied and outcasted.

Hence the upgrade.

Anyways Ive been looking at a Fluval 305 as it was recommended, but my budget is around £70 for a new or used one :)

I currently have a Tetratec 600 in my 77l tank and was thinking worst case I could add it in to create extra filtration.

I do daily water changes in my current 77l tank of 20% and once a month i do a 50-60% water change and gravel vac.

I would like to keep within budget unless I am able to sell the current tank quickly :)

6. Steve Smith

Steve Smith Member

305 won't be enough really. I believe it's rated at 690lph. You'd want something bigger like the 405 or EX1200. I don't have an issue with Fluvals, but I much prefer the design of the Tetratec filters. The Fluval's are a little dated now IMHO :)

7. mlgt

mlgt Member

I guess if everyone is going on about these I will look into them.

EX1200 is around £90 which is doable so I will look into that.

Both are around the same price so I will go and have a look and see what fits in the cabinet. :)

8. Joecoral

Joecoral Member

If you are able to keep up the daily 20% changes on the 180l then you should be ok with the discus
    I would go with the EX1200 personally, but you can't go wrong with an Eheim either, I'm not a big of the Fluval externals myself however

9. mlgt

mlgt Member

So crunch question.

Armed with £90.... what would fellow members go for?

10. Joecoral

Joecoral Member

EX1200

11. mlgt

mlgt Member

Thanks for that info.

I will see what other responses I will get and in 2 weeks I will buy a filter based on comments

12. glenn

glenn Member

yup ex1200 thats what im getting for my rio 180...im also adding a korila to meet the 10x turnover rule.

13. mlgt

mlgt Member

For those who use an internal filter with the Juwel how does one check if the thermometer is working? LOL

I bought mine second hand and just got it to work, however unsure if thermometer is on.

14. mlgt

mlgt Member

What I notice on this forum is that many have issues with the ex1200 filter.

For the sake of extra £10 to spread my budget to £100 is it worth it getting the eheim 2026 over the ex1200?

Im probably gonna get it online as LFS was quoting silly price

15. CeeJay

CeeJay Member

Hi migt
    I'm in exactly the same boat as you (need to upgrade Rio 180 filter) so I'm glued to this thread at the mo.
    Best price I've found for the EX1200 is here http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/TetraTec-EX1200-E ... 7C294%3A50 . Ends 31st July but has 'Buy it now' option.
    At £76.90 and free postage, sounds like a bargain. I'm seriously tempted myself. :D
    Hope this helps. ;)

Chris

16. nickmcmechan

nickmcmechan Member

i have rio 180, and i have two cannisters running along with the internal

in my opinion a 180 is not big enough for a shoal of discus, as a minimum you'd be looking at a rio 240

with the stocking level you have if you added discus you'd be looking at 50% daily water changes (probably using an HMA)

17. mlgt

mlgt Member

Hi there,

I am somewhat swayed after meeting a few fishkeepers who swear on the Eheim filters rather than Fluval or TT.

I was told that the 2217 is a pretty good filter to use and and price is £80 which is within budget I am stuck in limbo.

However for that price and it does around 790l an hour it covers the 3x filteration mode.

What is anyones thoughts on this? Should I start a thread on Eheim 2217?

Nick, Im not planning a huge shoal of discus, I currently have 1 discus and hoping to add another 2 only. I will do daily 20-30% daily water change if needed when I get the other 2.

But for now I only have the one and although hes lovely and fun, Its unfair to have a shoaling fish be alone by itself.

Chris the price you found is a great price, go for it :)

Right now I am waiting for pay day as just bought the tank and more bags of gravel and plants so kinda skint :D

18. dsandson

dsandson Member

Hello mate

If it helps I have a rio180 and have went for none of the above! I've got a Superfish Aqua Pro 4 SP, which is rated for 1550l/hr.

Now I must note that its huge! In my opinion its too wide for fitting behind a cabinet door, although Superman has used the same size filter but I think he may have had to remove the doors to take the filter out. Instead I used the centre space, removed the shelf and drilled 2 holes for the pipes and 1 for the lead for a 4-way extension (so I could unplug the filter and remove the whole unit). I then slid the shelf vertically infront of the cannister to hide part of it from view. I'm going to try to source a second shelf to blank almost all of that space.

I have to say its an excellent filter. I'd previously used a 960l/hr external but it just didnt cut the mustard.

Regards
    Dave

19. mlgt

mlgt Member

Looks a pretty decent bit of kit.

Does it come with spray bar as well?

Can you take a pic of the set up?

20. Peter F

Peter F Member

I also have a Rio 180 from day one I removed the internal filter and replaced it with an existing Eheim Eco 2321.
    However, I have decided there wasn't enough flow for the size of tank.
    So I have just upgraded to an Eheim 2324 pro thermo filter which is providing enough flow and enabled me to remove the heater from the tank.

Kindest regards: Peter