• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Juwel Rio 180 Lighting - Anything New Going On?

cheekycharly

Hey guys I haven't been on for a while but the hobby has still not left me even after 20+ years.

I have just had a second Juwel Helialux Spectrum fail on me by taking in water and moisture to the point it's rotten. I'm deeming these unsafe and far too costly to replace for a third time so I'm wanting to know what my options for lighting are.

Just been up in the loft and found the old T5 ballast and cleaned it up but it only had one tube in it so I will have to order one if they still exist as a stop gap.

Any ideas for a new lighting system that's good for the planted tank that doesn't involve hacking the trim apart off the aquarium would be great.

Thanks,

cheekycharly

Sent from my Mi 9T using Tapatalk

What about these Fluval Plant Bars that are about £229. They any good for a Juwel or are there better Chinese ones I should be looking for?

Any ideas for a new lighting system that's good for the planted tank that doesn't involve hacking the trim apart off the aquarium would be great.
That'll be the problem. I'm not sure there are any that you can fit without alterations to the Juwel flaps.

I have a Rio 180 low tech but I have always had the T5 lighting. I have bought new tubes from iquatics (+reflectors) over the years and have always been content with them although I don't have any way of measuring the actual output I have experienced.
I am considering finding a low cost single LED unit to sit under the flap at the back to see how things go. It will be either next to the rear tube or instead of it, but this med term solution won't involve any modding except maybe making up some sort of simple support.
Hopefully at some point I will find a replacement top I am happy with or I will fully diy a new top to take led units of my choice something along the lines of this one.
Will report back how I get on with shoehorning an extra unit in.

Hey guys I haven't been on for a while but the hobby has still not left me even after 20+ years.

I have just had a second Juwel Helialux Spectrum fail on me by taking in water and moisture to the point it's rotten. I'm deeming these unsafe and far too costly to replace for a third time so I'm wanting to know what my options for lighting are.

Just been up in the loft and found the old T5 ballast and cleaned it up but it only had one tube in it so I will have to order one if they still exist as a stop gap.

Thanks,

cheekycharly

Ran across a possible but pricy solution from Geisseman.
PULZAR G 3.
And these:

Back