• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Kandahar, Afghanistan

George Farmer

Founder
UKAPS Team
I've 'bent' the rules and taken a couple of photos with a mate's compact.

I've just ordered a nice Panasonic Lumix from Amazon, so will hopefully be able to share some more photos soon...

I'm glad I didn't bring my DSLR - the dust is unreal.

f_blackhawk2m_e780f8e.jpg

f_sunsetm_dac3692.jpg

the second shows off the cameras abilities. shooting into the sun and still retaining detail in the shade. pretty good IMO. not bad for a compact

mark

nice photos...landscape photos for me are definitely my favourite photos due to they give you a sense of being there...the joys of war…. i spose if u look on the bright side at least you have an office with a cracking view...
cheers.... passerby

Nice photos George, thanks for sharing with us, which Lumix you getting? was thinking of getting a compact just to carry about when I go out, rather than carry my DSLR.

passerby* said:
nice photos...landscape photos for me are definitely my favourite photos due to they give you a sense of being there...the joys of war…. i spose if u look on the bright side at least you have an office with a cracking view...
cheers.... passerby

Thanks very much.

Most of the time it's so dusty the mountains are hardly visible.

I do have a new found appreciation for life in general though. So it's not all bad... :)

LondonDragon said:
Nice photos George, thanks for sharing with us, which Lumix you getting? was thinking of getting a compact just to carry about when I go out, rather than carry my DSLR.
Thanks mate.

My budget was limited to £100 (wife's just bought another horse!) so I went for the award-winning Lumix DMCFS3. Can't go wrong for the money.

There's a new Leica that's rated highly, and the Sigma DP1 that has a APS-C sensor.

Interestingly, the DMCFS3 actually has a f/2.8 Leica lens.

George Farmer said:
the DMCFS3 actually has a f/2.8 Leica lens.

a bit like the sony/zeiss deal then...

George Farmer said:
I do have a new found appreciation for life in general though. So it's not all bad...

that happened to me everytime i goto kazakhstan. its a different world and makes you think about what you got!

LondonDragon said:

same as you londondragon i wanted something to carry around with me instead of my dslr and i picked up a cheap canon ixus 75 i can not fault it...the macro is good and some landscape photos i took whilst out shooting were pretty good it really makes the colours vivid .. so check out the ixus range.. and my mate has a cracking compact nikon a bit on the large size but its the nuts..but i know he paid £250+ ..i would give u the name/code of it but i cant think of it.sorry.
cheers....paserby

saintly said:
LondonDragon said:
was thinking of getting a compact just to carry about when I go out, rather than carry my DSLR.

considered a leica?

the panasonic Lumix has a Leica lens anyway :) and you dont need a mortgage to buy it :lol:

Great pics mate :) keep safe

Back