• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Keep losing shrimp in filter inlet

Monkfish

The last couple of times I have cleaned out my filter there have been a lot of shrimp in the bottom of it.

I have stainless steel pipe work and the inlet is like this with the skimmer on top.

94e951c28cb36bb682a42a2ab013bffc.jpg

What do you think I could put on or in the slotted part to stop the going on the flume ride of their lives?

I considered a foam cover but thought that would restrict flow too much and need to be cleaned a lot.

Big course foam will need least cleaning/reduce flow the least. You could put a bit of a pair of tights/stocking over it, but I think you'd end up needing more frequent cleaning.

These work well and it what I use

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Gwolf-Aqua...t=&hvlocphy=1007200&hvtargid=pla-818702676372

They are approx 30mm in diameter so both cover the inlet but also give some space around it too, as I was finding with the guards shown in an earlier post the shrimp were still being pinned to it. The gap around the inlet pipe also means if leaves, etc, get sucked to it the flow isn't blocked as water can pass around it still

I've not had a single problem since using these

I saw those before a actually so that’s good someone is actually using them. Do you have to remove the plastic bit at the top to make it fit over the end of the inlet?

I saw those before a actually so that’s good someone is actually using them. Do you have to remove the plastic bit at the top to make it fit over the end of the inlet?

Technically no but it's a real tight fit and I'd read some people had broken their glass pipes forcing them on. I just removed the plastic bit, put a cut in it (so it was no longer a complete circle) and then put it back in place. The guard now slides on real easy but there is still more than enough friction for it to hold in place. If you're using stainless steel pipes you might get away with it though.

I'd definitely recommend them. There are cheaper versions available online (Amazon, etc) which look the same but I'd read they literally fall apart if you're not careful. I decided to pay the extra in the hope they were decent quality and the link I put up is those I bought. They are good and I've no faults to report so far (been a couple of months). Can't vouch for the cheaper ones though

I have a similar stainless steel set and had to rapidly think of something as first one, then two of my shrimp became berried. I now have dozens of baby shrimp in my tank. I cut some sponge and “drilled” a hole in it with some plastic tube. It seems to work ok as I often see babies walking over the sponge.
4E429EF2-C65E-4391-B3E8-1F6FB80780EF.jpeg

I have always just used a sponge, works best and easy to clean

Thanks. I managed to hack away at the stainless inlet guard I bought to make it large enough to fit.

b9018105072afdb9877e538c024c0db1.jpg

I've broken a few, I always found sponges blocked up too quickly.. Especially if you have an external heater.

I've had a couple of mesh filters and they normally drop to bits where glued together..

Best I found was the metal laser welded ones.. They are a touch more expensive but last so much longer.
Inlet filter.jpg

Back