• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Keeping new plants in baskets

Davidwebbuk

I'm currently fishless cycling two tanks and I have a number of plants planted in my substrate (fluval stratum) and I just purchased three more plants yesterday and I haven't planted them. Just dropped them into the tank.

Will this cause any problems with the cycles?

I do intend to plant them but wanted to get a feel of where in the tank I wanted them before actually planting them.

Attachments

• IMG_20201130_085732.jpg
    IMG_20201130_085732.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 244
  • IMG_20201130_085739.jpg
    IMG_20201130_085739.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 191
Hi
Best taking them out the pots!
Plant the langenandra...add a few root tabs/balls/pellets to the substrate.
The Ludwigia sp mini red can be a finicky plant for me....needs high light/co2/ferts!
You could always float the Ludwigia to help with filtration.
hoggie

Thanks.

Will have a Google for floating one of the ludwigia

And I'll plant the lagenandra. I think I like it in the front corner anyways.

I've got a liquid fertilizer which I put 3ml in per week.

Would it cause issues to up that whilst everything is new?

Sent from my HD1903 using Tapatalk

I grow ludwigia mini red in my tank, I don't use CO2, but I dose 5ml weekly (60litre), and have medium-high light. I've noticed compared to my rotala that it grows quite long roots into the soil (my tank is soil layered under sand), so maybe that's why it does well. It grows very well, much better than the rotalas I've tried. I have trimmed it before and left the stems floating for a few days when I'd had enough of scaping and coudn't be bothered to replant.

I've also bought plants before and just kept them in the tank in the pots for a few days until maintenance day and nothing bad seems to happen. I think it's fine to work out what you're going to do with it. There's also no harm in planting it, and then moving it later if you realise it'd look better in another spot (unless it's a deeply rooted plant that would bring up a lot of soil, that mgiht be a bit annoying).

Hi all,
I'm currently fishless cycling two tanks
Will this cause any problems with the cycles?
If you mean adding ammonia? You can stop, it doesn't help to create the microbial community you get in a planted tank and may well delay its development. Have a look at <"Dr Hovanec's comments..."> and <"Do I need to cycle....">, they are quite long threads but well worth a read.
Best taking them out the pots!
That one. Just plant the plants and wait, once they are in settled in and in active growth your tank is "cycled". I like <"a floating plant">, it has access to 400 ppm of atmospheric CO2, which means that it isn't CO2 limited and can potentially take up a lot of nutrients.

I like a <"lot of plants">, which can be expensive, but plants like Hornwort (Ceratophyllum demersum) are great self propagators and will bulk up really quickly.

cheers Darrel

I don’t root any plants in substrate but grow either epiphytes or potted plants in baskets ( hydroponic pots ) filled in with gravel for weight and anchor. I like baskets because they allow roots to reach out, and you can buy larger baskets from hydroponic shops. All plants can uptake nutrients from the water column and don’t necessarily need to feed from substrate

Attachments

• DE247000-D671-4B96-B400-09E8C9E3DF16.jpeg
    DE247000-D671-4B96-B400-09E8C9E3DF16.jpeg
    997.2 KB · Views: 177
  • B5629412-C4F6-44A4-A72D-A936639658B8.jpeg
    B5629412-C4F6-44A4-A72D-A936639658B8.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 184
Back