• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Keetchy's rescaped, 1st Iwagumi tank (Page 7)

So the new Twinstar arrives this week so I think it's time to have a bit of a shuffle around in the tank and some new plants to replace old ones.

The red is the current location and the blue is where I'm going to move it to.

Current pic

20200407_165740.jpg

The Bolbitis at the back is kind of shading the Pogo Erectus below it so I'm gonna move all the Bolbitis from the rear centre to the front where the Trident Fern is

20200407_171235.jpg

And the Trident doesn't seem to be doing too good. I'm putting it down to the rhizome being under the the wood and it getting no light so I'm gonna move the Trident to the centre of the wood at the base but will the rhizome glued to the wood so it covers that gap in the middle

20200407_171053.jpg

And I should have taken advice sooner about the Alternanthera pink not being such a good plant to have. So I'm gonna replace that with Rotala Orange Juice and H'ra

20200407_171300.jpg

Well that was a fun 5 hours. Lol.

So Bolbitis, Trident and background plants out

20200409_104102.jpg

New plants arrived

20200409_125127.jpg

Background reds planted

20200409_131612.jpg

Then rest of the plants fitted. Anubias, Trident and Bolbitis shuffled. Twinstar 1200 in place. It's only at 50%, damn 100% is gonna light up the room. Lol

20200409_205820.jpg

20200409_205456.jpg

20200409_205502.jpg

20200409_205543.jpg

20200409_205516.jpg

Cant wait for the new background plants to grow out

Very nicely and heavily planted should look great

Dean

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

I’d suggest some mitigation of the MC

Lift a test area, separate out healthiest portions and replant leaving only small amount of leaf above soil - I’m assuming pieces will be fairly short, if you have longer portions, you can loop both ends to middle and plant this way
(Filipe Oliveira demonstrates @12 min in this GA video)
If growth is not being inhibited/stressed by algae, carpet should fill in fairly quickly

Add extra (powder) soil over MC to cover the worst of the diatom damaged areas - obviously this doesn’t look as good at the front as substrate height increases - this seems to help isolate the affected MC (or maybe it just looks better ;))

I prefer the former method but it’s obviously more labour intensive

I think.it looks loads better mate the light will defo help and they are so pretty well worth the money

You could just trim the mc will look shocking but all the brown diatome bits will be gone and it will quickly get new growth

Add extra (powder) soil over MC to cover the worst of the diatom damaged areas - obviously this doesn’t look as good at the front as substrate height increases - this seems to help isolate the affected MC (or maybe it just looks better ;))

You could just trim the mc will look shocking but all the brown diatome bits will be gone and it will quickly get new growth

Could I do option 3 which is a combo of what you both suggested.

So cut down the MC all the way down to the substrate so all the diatom infected areas are gone, then sprinkle some Tropica powder substrate over the top of it all and then just wait for it to grow back. I'm presuming the roots are ok cause there is always new growth.

Looking good, I’d imagine once all those fast growing stems starting growing in a lot of the algae will disappear. You should also start to see some good colouration from the stems with the new light. I have the same light and it brings my stems out in all sorts of oranges, reds and pinks.

Think this is going to look quality once it’s all grown in!

cheers

Conor

Looking good, I’d imagine once all those fast growing stems starting growing in a lot of the algae will disappear. You should also start to see some good colouration from the stems with the new light. I have the same light and it brings my stems out in all sorts of oranges, reds and pinks.

Think this is going to look quality once it’s all grown in!

cheers

Conor
Fingers crossed mate. There's also the issue of holes appearing in the leaves of the Ludwigia Palustris, which I'm hoping the light will help resolve.
I can see a massive difference in red already with the new light. Even the wood has gone from a brown to a reddish browny colour. Lol

It takes some ge
Fingers crossed mate. There's also the issue of holes appearing in the leaves of the Ludwigia Palustris, which I'm hoping the light will help resolve.
I can see a massive difference in red already with the new light. Even the wood has gone from a brown to a reddish browny colour. Lol
It takes some getting used to at first, when I first got mine I thought everything looked pink. Can’t even notice it now though.

I have ludwigia sp red mini which is a variant of palustris I believe, grows with very good form and colouration. One with with ludwigia is the bottoms do get abit ratty so once you start seeing healthy new growth just discard of the bottoms. After a while you’ll have a fair sized healthy stand of it.

cheers

Conor

It takes some ge

It takes some getting used to at first, when I first got mine I thought everything looked pink. Can’t even notice it now though.

I have ludwigia sp red mini which is a variant of palustris I believe, grows with very good form and colouration. One with with ludwigia is the bottoms do get abit ratty so once you start seeing healthy new growth just discard of the bottoms. After a while you’ll have a fair sized healthy stand of it.

cheers

Conor
That's good to know bud. The most difficult thing with this game I've noticed is getting the balance right. Its hard to get it right

I suggest dividing your MC into lots - apply all three methods and see which gives you best regrowth

I’ve been happiest with the removal, separation, replant - rapid regrowth as you’ve replanted all the growing tips, minimal algae as that’s been physically removed, also physical distance between the replanted portions
MC isn’t that keen on severe trimming - if you watched Jurijs mit JS recovery of his overgrown MC Iwagumi, he was careful to gradually reduce the dense carpet

In your case, it seems likely you will be trimming much of the actively growing MC, leaving behind rooted portions that must now develop new buds/shoots so recovery will definitely be slower

Once you get into the swing of it, my RSR method is reasonably quick (the slowest part is figuring how to separate/trim for the best quality replant portions)

If you have a large bore vacuum/syphon tube running as you lift the MC carpet, this can be accomplished with minimal tank clouding - I do add 2-4X tank volume Prime just in case whenever I disturb considerable areas of substrate with livestock in tank (lesson learned the hardest way so I often remove livestock before attempting much rescape/replant)

Back