• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Keeton's 10g nano

keeton

well lets start with how it started

8/9/09
i went for a quick look through my local P@H and saw this clearseal tank 18" x 12" x 12" for just over £10 with hood, water conditioner and fish food so i thought bargain. Soon as i saw the tank i new it was going to be planted, but didn't have a clue for stocking.

Specs:

Tank-Clearseal 10g nano 18" x 12" x 12"

Lighting-40w wallmounted fish tank light
mounted 1.5ft above the tank, to lessen the light in the tank

Filtration-Unsure yet

CO2-diy co2

Heating-25w at 26C

Nutrients-TPN+ 1ml daily

Decor-Black background, rock from local LFS

Substrate-Argos playsand

On the way home i relised i didn't know whether it would fit on my set of draws. Luckily it fits with about 1/8th an inch either side.
P090909_1548.jpg

P090909_1548_01.jpg

P090909_1549.jpg

9/9/09
I washed the tank out to get rid of any dust or debris.
P090909_1552.jpg

P090909_1552.jpg

P090909_1556.jpg

Next sand went in dry and unwashed. Big Mistake :angry:
P090909_1606.jpg

the scum of top :sick:, a quick netting and moving the sand around made more rubbish come up.
P090909_1618_01.jpg

rammed aload of filter floss in an elite mini filter to clean the sand and any rubbish floating about
P090909_1629.jpg

clearing now with the light up
P090909_2054.jpg

now attemped to make a nice scape with the rocks, to which i failed
P100909_1745.jpg

P100909_1745_01.jpg

from right
P100909_1745_02.jpg

P100909_1748.jpg

P100909_1748_01.jpg

that ended that night with the failed hardscape.

10/9/09
Today i found a scape i like and decided on the stocking. What do you think?
IMG_2306.jpg

IMG_2309.jpg

IMG_2311.jpg

Decided to go for a Carinotetraodon travancoricus (DP) set up. In the DP info page in the oddballs section it says for a 10g you can have 2 DP's and 3 Otocinclus, well im definatly going for the 3 Otocinclus but unsure on whether to go for 1 or 2 DP's
Will update soon with plant list, any suggestions?

cheers
Keeton

I started with the same sized tank and I loved mine. I personally would like more stones with the main focal moved into golden section. I'd also indulge in the current trend for graded gravels great start though really promising. depending on budget, you might want an external filter, I know I would.

Congrats and well done.

OH And you can cut the braces of without issue, I know, I did! :)

thanks for the advice, its a great tank and was going to remove the bracing anyway and get a glass plate for the top as the plastic hood looks naff and DP are known for jumping :( , would love it to be open topped. thinking of getting another 2 rocks, 1 big 1 small to go just right of the other rocks (if you look at the last pic)
This tank is a budget that why i've gone for diy co2 and will most likely go with an internal filter maybe a fluval u1. my other 2 tanks (20g and 30g planted tanks with presurrised) are costing me enough as it is lol.

thanks for kind comments

all critism welcome

i like it , and a bargain 2!
cant wait to see it when its finished. :thumbup:

14/9/09
Update
Decided on plants. java fern, blyxa, glosso, hydro polysperma, crypt parva.
Blyxa should hopefully be here tomorrow (big thanks to baron von bubba). hydro and glosso should be here tomorrow or wednesday and need to source a nice big fern and somewhere that sells parva.
Depending on how it fills out it the next 2 weeks i'll be able to decide on whether to have 1 or 2 DP's, but definatly going for 4 otto's if filtration premits. Still looking for filter and heater.
Layout:
IMG_2311copy.jpg

IMG_2309copy.jpg

critism welcome
cheers

i would think you could have 3 dp's filling permitting.
I would never have 2 as one will almost always bear the brunt of the other one.
1 or 3+ is the way to go (although 3 is the max i would recomend)

15/9/09
Update

Recieved my Blyxa Japonic from Baron Von Bubba today and set up my co2 unit and have started to dose ferts. Hopefully some of the other plants should be here tomorrow.
Will be buying a filter and heater on friday if funds permit then i'll be ready to get my puffer/puffers and otto's.

Picture dont do it justice (crap phone camera)
I'm liking how its coming together

IMG_23141.jpg

IMG_2315.jpg

IMG_2316.jpg

Critism welcome
Cheers

mr. luke said:
i would think you could have 3 dp's filling permitting.
I would never have 2 as one will almost always bear the brunt of the other one.
1 or 3+ is the way to go (although 3 is the max i would recomend)

From my experience they only tend to fight when you have 2 males in a small tank like this, if i do get 2 i plan on getting a male and a female so there shouldn't be any fighting.

i really like it :thumbup:
What filtration have you picked?
What are the stones as well?
:clap:

ScottYalloP said:
i really like it :thumbup:
What filtration have you picked?
What are the stones as well?
:clap:

Thanks, means alot :).
Not 100% sure yet, thinking of a Fluval U1 but will look what my lfs has in. any suggestions? needs to be quite, have good flow, not too expensive and not too big.
stones are from my lfs at £1.99 per kilo

Keeton

yes, super happy with it.
i opened it this morning and was like :woot: what am i going to do with this lot.
thanks again

17/9/09
Update

Got my Glossostigma elatinoides and hygrophila polysperma today, the Hydro i trimmed really small and and pruned alot of leaves as i hasn't traveled to good. Hopefully it will pick up, also how quick will Glosso spread with good co2 and TPN+?

Few pictures before i planted anything:
S5000817.jpg

S5000819.jpg

With the Hydro:
S5000821.jpg

S5000822.jpg

All Planted with Glosso:
S5000824.jpg

S5000825.jpg

All Critism Welcome
Cheers

*edit* cant see glosso very well, its in little clumps. Hydro is planted all the way around rock at the back. *edit*

18/9/09 :)
Update:

Hydro is looking abit better already, the blyxa looks great and seems to be doing well. Got nothing so far from the glosso, hopefully it will pick up and spread abit.
Will Plants Pearl with DIY co2? Dont think it does with it running all the time, correct me if im wrong.

Cheers

20/9/09
Update for 2 days ago (been lazy)

well in 3 three day the hydrophila has grown about 3 inches and is looking really good at the moment. The other day i noticed the blyxa wasn't looking to go and was starting to melt probs from being posted, today it looks like its getting better. which cant be said for the glosso which hasn't done anything, i think its dying but hopefully will pull through.
Got abit of thread algae and abit of dust algae on the glass, the seems better everyday. quite common on new setup if im correct?
Not yet decided on other plants now? any suggestions?
one more thing before the pictures, What other low plant (not hairgrass) will carpet easily e.g glosso, hc kind of height but easier?

(sorry for crap pictures, off my phone)
S5000833.jpg

S5000834.jpg

S5000837.jpg

and glosso dying
S5000832.jpg

All comments and critism welcome

it wasn't intended to be an iwagumi but kind of worked out like one.

It's nice, similar to an idea I've had for a while. It reminds me of Oliver Knott's recent demo aquascape.

Back