• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Kelvin 5000 to 6500k

tdc999

Hello
I have a Juwel Helia lux Spectrum 1200 60W.
I have a planted aquarium with community fish.
I have set the lighting differently for each day of the week.
The light settings vary each day but never at 80 to 100.
I am getting some black algae on the Amazon Sword leaves.

I have read that a kelvin output? 5000-6500k is good for plants and may help with the algae.
If so, how do I reach that target with this lighting system.
Thanks

Attachments

• 20210926_104920.jpg
    20210926_104920.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 197

Better to go for same setting each day, the algae your getting is a classic sign of too long a lighting period and/or to intense light setting, plus could also be lack of CO2 poor flow in tank or not enough nutrients, even not enough maintenance/WC (water changes) can induce algae
Light is the main culprit, cut photo period back to 6hrs max and dim (50%)/raise the light fitted or add filter to cut down light intensity, another option is to add some floating plants to reduce the light getting to the plants below.
With modern LED lights is all too easy to give too much light, its an all to common error. You need 4-6weeks after increasing/decreasing anything to see how the plants/algae respond.

I have read that a kelvin output? 5000-6500k is good for plants and may help with the algae.
Difficult to advise what's going on in your tank off that picture alone but I wouldn't worry about any specific kelvin range, the plants will adapt to whatever colour temperature that makes your tank look pretty, plants are kind that way and it makes our life easier when we stop worrying about it.

Plants do of course like consistency when it comes to duration of light and intensity.

Like zeus says reduce the intensity of your light and get said light on a timer (if it isn't already) and have it set to come on at the same time, same duration and same intensity everyday, your plants will thank you for it.

Oh and a foot note, cut that leaf off, sadly it is beyond repair and will only attract more algae.

Hello
I have a Juwel Helia lux Spectrum 1200 60W.
I have a planted aquarium with community fish.
I have set the lighting differently for each day of the week.

If so, how do I reach that target with this lighting system.
Thanks
Yea algae isn't sensitive to spectrum really.
But since I do like playing with spectrum I have a theory for you.
First calculations based on their published charts show a base Kelvin of err.. out of range.
You want to come closer to 6500-6600k and improve the color rendering just decrease the blue channel.
Most of your color temp is created from the white diodes. Depending on their temp is really what defines what you can adjust..Well WITHOUT a lot of light loss, ie dimming whites.
The RGB can make almost any K temp.
30/100/60 RGB % and no whites should be about 8000K and fair cri but a weak light.
Whites are like 85% of your photon output.
Tweaking just RGB
There are a LOT of assumptions here.
I'd suspect the whites are about 8000 k or so.

OK while writing this I came across this info:
Combination of 9.000 K and 6.500 K LEDs

So with whites at 100% and guessing on 6500 to 9000k ratio of 1:1 base K is like 7750K. It's not quite that simple though but close enough.
1:1 just makes manf easy.

All whites, all reds, no blue, green to taste "may" get you to 6500k-ish.
After that to go lower you need to dim whites.
Same as bold but w/ whites at 30% you should be around 5500k.

Play a bit and let me know what you think.

AGAIN though, this has nothing to do w/ algae.

Use the above and globally dim to say 60% during daylight schedule.. per above recommendations.

Back