• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Kessil A150W "Amazon Sun" review

Oh thats almost a shame! :( I noticed the "big brother" 90w/350w is dimmable. I've emailed them and asked, will get back here when they reply

I might get one to try actually - my fan is already modded to run at half speed on a separate power supply and the light tends to run pretty hot, so I wonder if dimming the light will produce less heat.

Maybe not, just saw the price on the dimmer - £105 on Amazon.

Edit - £5 on eBay, that's more like it.

Well the good news is that the dimmer works quite well. The bad news is that it causes an almighty buzzing noise from the pendant on anything except full brightness (it's still faintly audible at 100%), I think either from the bulbs themselves or the capacitors. So pretty useless all in all.

I guess other dimmers with different frequencies might give better (or worse!) results, but I don't think I'll be bothering.

Yup, it was way too loud for me. I ended up rewiring the fan to run at half speed on a separate 12v power supply (old mobile phone charger) instead of at 24v. Much quieter, but the unit runs a lot hotter, so it'll be reducing the life of the LEDs, although I have no idea how much by. I got it for a reasonable price second hand, hence not too worried about messing around with it, but if I'd bought it new I'd have returned it due to the noise.

They really should have made the unit larger in order to fit a bigger (quieter) fan, as in the A350s. Major flaw IMO. Shame because the aesthetics, colour and spread of light are all excellent.

Thanks Tom, you saved me a bunch of money and the hassle of returning it! . I cannot abide... Noise.

Hi again
Im looking into buying this Led fixture now.. I was wondering where you guys have ordered it from?
I cant fint the 6500k kessil in UK ? Neither in Germany, so will prolly have to buy from the US, but they use 110v In denmark we use 230v?

Never mind, I found a danish shop selling them :p ... Am about to order one today, will let you know what I think about it
there was a new one on eBay a couple of months ago £140

But now nothing anywhere

Back