• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Kessil a160's vs fluval 3.0 plant

The newer Kessils seem to have a better spectrum and more control although still using an external controller. Have a look at em.

7913DFB7-D6EC-4906-8BDC-C69AFCC4D37A.jpeg
Cool @alto have you got any pictures?
Haven’t we already discussed my abysmal photographic skillz ;)
This is one version that happens to be on my iPad- several weeks after a rescape

Note the elegant Net accessory o_O

The blueness is Apple IOS/camera - I find it’s either too blue or too yellow and seldom reflects the tank irl

I went with 2 160s. I'll post some updates when it's setup. I won't be planting for about a month and a half. Thanks again for all the helpful info!

I decided to go with the Radion XR15FW, Ive seen they will produce shimmer/glitter lines while having more red in the spectrum than the kessils. I like the twinstars but I want puck style light fixtures as Im hanging the lights from the ceiling with the power cord going into the ceiling too.

Cool. Bear in mind you’ll need 3 (maybe get way with 2 with low light plants and depending on how high you suspend them).
Think about where you sit. You don’t want to be looking up at a point source light.

Have used the sea version before but not the freshwater. Be interesting to see what you think :)

If you are spending that sort of money why not consider the ADA Solar RGB or the new MaxLite. Edit. I think you’ll need 2 of them.........!

Last edited:
Let us know how you get on.

Yeah I’ll only need to radions, same if I was getting 360s. But I don’t need to cover the h
Cool. Bear in mind you’ll need 3 (maybe get way with 2 with low light plants and depending on how high you suspend them).
Think about where you sit. You don’t want to be looking up at a point source light.

Have used the sea version before but not the freshwater. Be interesting to see what you think :)

If you are spending that sort of money why not consider the ADA Solar RGB or the new MaxLite. Edit. I think you’ll need 2 of them.........!

I should be fine with two due to the aquascape I plan on using, I specficaly want a puck style led that I can hang and then place a rustic shade around it too. I do like the light the twinstars produce, but I prefer how more natural the tanks look with shimmer from leds like kessils and radions, abiet not as well as the kessil. I'll still go and look at the radions in the flesh just to double check I like the lighting.

Kessil said with 2 I would need to be about 6 in off the water surface. We will see. They arrived today so hooray for that!

I'll look into ADA and Maxlite.

2 of which?

Let us know how you get on with the lights!

Its quite intresting when you look at the following charts and compare the different lighting models, especially when you compare the kessils against other lights, especially the 160 against 360
http://www.aquaillumination.com/science/par.html

Its quite intresting when you look at the following charts and compare the different lighting models, especially when you compare the kessils against other lights, especially the 160 against 360
http://www.aquaillumination.com/science/par.html
There wouldn't be any bias of course ;)

There are independent studies comparing Kessil vs Prime that show rather different data

It would’ve been nice of AI to include their Freshwater LED versions

It would’ve been nice of AI to include their Freshwater LED versions
The average freshwater hobbyist doesn't want to spend money on a "expensive" light. Where as a reef hobbyist will spend it multiple times. The average reef hobbyist will cycle thru different lights every 6 months. So aquarium lighting companies don't really see Planted tanks as a market to include their freshwater lights in a list like this.

Now do it all again :D
That should give yo a measure of your own repeatability

Then I suggest repeating the measurements at a couple of light intensities as well as spectra

Now do it all again :D
That should give yo a measure of your own repeatability

Then I suggest repeating the measurements at a couple of light intensities as well as spectra

I plan on it. :hungover:

Also the numbers represent some sort of a guessed average due to the shimmer. The numbers were jumping quite a bit.

Last edited:
Do you have the Kessils equidistant across the length of the tank?

I set mine slightly closer to the edges than to each other

Do you have the Kessils equidistant across the length of the tank?

I set mine slightly closer to the edges than to each other

They are equidistant. Which is why they are so bright in the center. I was thinking of spreading them out a couple of inches to see how much it raises the outer numbers and give a more uniform pattern.

I just want to make sure I can grow a nice carpet near the perimeter of the tank.

Back