• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Kessil?

john arnold

HI
Just treated myself to a kessil A160we tuna, i put it on my 40 cube with idea of upgrading thst tank later, now i did have an Onf nano on there, git very excited with delivery like you do and woh what a let down, colour rendition no better than the onf which to be honest is good so not problem, but the power not that much greater too amd the cable management total shite. So £100 onf, £253 kessil comes with cable ties! Amd the jack connection is by light as well as another lump so can’t even make that look tidy, im not being picky am i?

Hi @john arnold

Couldn't agree with you more! I've seen these illuminating the plants tank at my local MA. Couldn't believe my eyes when I saw the cable ties! It's totally unacceptable for the prices they charge.

Are you being picky? No, categorically not! :thumbdown:

JPC
Thanks man i emailed to return them its just too much money for crap design probs go for twinstar like i have on another tank

There are things to like about Kessil but you’ve pretty much hit the negatives

I was even more astonished to read (on another thread here) that the new A360X which promises improved reds etc - has the red and Amber LEDS turned OFF and inaccessible to manual mode - only the new software will turn these LEDs ON :banghead:

Thank You Kessil for selling an already expensive light (which was released followed by massive delays in software and wifi dongle ... ummm really - who doesn’t include the wifi access built INTO the LED unit), and then disenchant and daunt (remaining) fans with this apparent antagonistic business model

Do like the shimmer on mine all the same
That’s what sold me :)
(and I much prefer the metal finish over competitors’ plastic and pseudo metal)

They do look much better when mounted more elegantly than Kessil accessories - I had hoped they would improve the gooseneck etc but I’m guessing Kessil had millions made (rather like Eheim’s stellar green tubing ;))

Plus only a year warranty for your money.
Do like the shimmer on mine all the same
Yeah actually i liked the shimmer although i do mot have amy shimmer at all, do i need more surface agitation to get shimmer, ill say shimmer one more time, anyway im ringing up now to return it

and I much prefer the metal finish over competitors’ plastic and pseudo metal

I like the finish

I did do a custom mount Olympus is Calling , but only ever had it fitted once as access was a big issue :oops:

upload_2020-5-7_11-45-16.png

Your negative points are fair, but they produce to my eyes the most natural looking light for an aquarium.

There are things to like about Kessil but you’ve pretty much hit the negatives

Hi @alto

I've never been able to understand the logic (!) of producing a circular beam in a rectangular tank. People do seem to like the 'shimmer' effect, though. But that should be easy to produce with simple optics.

JPC

...they produce to my eyes the most natural looking light for an aquarium.

Hi @castle

Out of interest, do Kessil publish the spectrum/spectra for their lighting? It would be interesting to see these as it may help to understand what makes them 'natural looking'. If no spectra are available and, if you're interested, there is a way of doing a simple check.

JPC

Hi @alto

I've never been able to understand the logic (!) of producing a circular beam in a rectangular tank. People do seem to like the 'shimmer' effect, though. But that should be easy to produce with simple optics.

JPC
The thing is i didnt get a shimmer either which is what i wanted, dont know id light was too close to water or not

Back