• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

KH depletion

Soilwork

How likely do you think it is that an aquarium (particularly full of plants) depletes the KH levels in soft waters. And if so do you believe this could happen relatively quickly?

If the sum of all organisms that presumably use KH or more specifically co3 or in enough numbers do you think this could become an issue?

The reason ask is due to my very soft tap water and my experiences adding Dolomite CaMgCo3. Prior to the addition of this powder my plants were pretty stagnated. Now there is definitely a case to say that the plants I have prefer harder waters and I don’t dispute that however, I’m using EI dosing co2 and high light. The plants did not grow until I added the dolomite. And when I say grow I mean exploded. I add calcium with my water changes and I was using mgso4 at EI levels as part of my dosing regimen so the only real change from what I can tell was the Co3 ion.

I’m now wonder if these harder water plants don’t actually need high levels of KH but rather just a non limiting level and that I was becoming depleted relatively quickly after water changes.

I know there are people who have kept low KH tanks but low could still imply non limiting. I have used some plants that grew like weeds without the dolomite and were ok with what was being added from the tap.

If the answer is just as simple as some plants like hard water some like soft them my question is what is it about that hard water or the additional of gh and kh that makes these plants thrive even if they have co2 light and non limiting nutrition?

Can't help much except to say i run most of my tanks with 0 Kh and one which runs at around 12 KH, the 0 KH tanks i find much easier.

What plants do you have in the zero KH tanks?
I keep my tank at “0” kh and care for a wide range of plants. (See journal) Basically everything will do well at that level. Some even need a Low kh to survive.

How do you keep it at 0? Use RO and add no carbonate based fertiliser?

Any link to journal?

Thanks

Use RO and add no carbonate based fertiliser?
Yes.

Back