• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Kinabalu (60 x 40 x 40)

A bit overdue a trim!

CC5F8A08-FB13-4151-9CAF-9FEE71DAEE7C.jpeg

Its amazing how quickly nature takes over!

D25C9B82-646F-4415-BDDD-E11141593D07.jpeg

Last edited:
Amazing growth, healthy looking tank.

Thanks Sam.

I really like, in the shot from the end, how the little umbrellas of Hydrocotyle verticillata have just appeared out of nowhere.

I planted some in there on the far right of that shot, when the tank was set up, but they seemed to die off and disappeared.

Now, months later they’ve reappeared with a vengeance.

do you rate the Nero? I have stripped a mp40 down and looks like both wet and dryside bearings are a bit suspect, so probably cheaper to get one of these
is it on a random ramp up or do you run it at a constant speed, post hair cut tank looks good btw

do you rate the Nero? I have stripped a mp40 down and looks like both wet and dryside bearings are a bit suspect, so probably cheaper to get one of these
is it on a random ramp up or do you run it at a constant speed, post hair cut tank looks good btw

The Nero 3 is great @not called Bob - it’s impossibly tiny for the huge amount of water it can push through. Plus it’s got a really wide outflow cone, so although it’s moving a lot of water, you don’t get that narrow high velocity jet that you get with other stream pumps.

I’m also a sucker for app control, and the set up of the Nero is really flexible. As you say you can change output at different times of the day etc. I haven’t experimented a great deal, but I have it on a slow pulse mode between 30% and 40% which give a slight ebb and flow variation to plant movement, but there are lots of other set up options.

One thing I would say though, if you have shrimp, budget for an after market guard. The Nero 3 does come with one, which is enough to stop shrimp getting through to the impellers, but the suction through the guard is so powerful that if they land on it, they get sucked into it like the Alien at the airlock (Aliens movie reference!).

This is the only decent one I could find - which isn’t cheap once you add shipping and customs charges etc:

It works very well and lessens the suction issue at the guard. Hopefully now the Nero 3 has been out a while some UK 3D printing folks will sort some designs out.

Oh that's nice to know. I have a few friends with printers and never seen to know what to print, so maybe I can find a shape file and give them a task.

The mp40 used to be run on random, great for kicking up the muck. But possibly a little strong for the freshwater setup compared to the marines, that loved good spin cycle

Oh that's nice to know. I have a few friends with printers and never seen to know what to print, so maybe I can find a shape file and give them a task.

The mp40 used to be run on random, great for kicking up the muck. But possibly a little strong for the freshwater setup compared to the marines, that loved good spin cycle

Yeah I did quite a bit of research on them. I did consider the MP10, as I liked the fact that all the wires were on the outside of the tank.

But I liked the wider output cone of the Nero, it’s smaller size, the fact that it’s output goes down to a much gentler minimum point (i.e. it’s lowest setting is almost zero flow), and the fact that it can be angled +/- 15 degrees (slightly more in practice with the guard on).

The only downside with the motor outside is if not perfectly lined up, you get some very noisy vibrations, handy to stop heat and keep things clean though and yes it's either on or off at its lowest setting, fine if balanced as you don't hear the ramping but if knocked it's very apparent

Im curious by the positioning of your inlet and outlet in this tank, as it does'nt seem to have an easy path in. I'm assuming its picking up all the fine particles through the rocks, wood and background plants just fine, hence why you have kept it that way.

As you know I opted for the Nero 3 also after talking with you, and I'm trying to work out the best positions for the inlet, outlet and the nero in a triangular composition from left back to right front. I counted out the back left position right from the start as I assumed that the background plants would restrict the flow, and also get battered by the outflow. Your tank seems to defy that thought...

Im curious by the positioning of your inlet and outlet in this tank, as it does'nt seem to have an easy path in. I'm assuming its picking up all the fine particles through the rocks, wood and background plants just fine, hence why you have kept it that way.

As you know I opted for the Nero 3 also after talking with you, and I'm trying to work out the best positions for the inlet, outlet and the nero in a triangular composition from left back to right front. I counted out the back left position right from the start as I assumed that the background plants would restrict the flow, and also get battered by the outflow. Your tank seems to defy that thought...

No, the rock forms two terraces Paul, they're completely filled with crushed lava rock and soil, and the filter inlet, which is covered with a stainless steel mesh shrimp guard, sit on top of the soil at the rear, so nothing is really drwn through the rock as such.

A primary objective for me is having as little equipment visible as possible, so having the overflow outlet (for the automated water changes), and the filter inlet and outlet in the rear corner was the obvious choice, and that drove the positioning for me. The filter outlet fires water across the surface over the tops of the stems and creates some turbulence and distribution in amongst them, it then hits the side glass at something of an angle, bounces towards the front glass and then travels along the middle and bottom of the front of the tank, before being drawn back up over the front of the rocks and through the stems.

This seems to give a good circular distribution, and covers almost all areas, and as an added bonus creates a natural collection point for detritus in the bottom left hand corner for easy vacuuming out. My main issue has been that having a large CO2 reactor on the filter outlet sucks the velocity out of the flow from the Oase 850, so the Nero 3 was required to give the flow a bit more of a push around the front of the tank to ensure that I got a bit of leaf movement on the far left hand side.

I probably could have done away with the CO2 reactor and just accepted more CO2 bubbles in the tank, and a higher injection rate, and then might not have needed the Nero 3, but it's working as is now, and I've accepted the aesthetic for now.

No, the rock forms two terraces Paul, they're completely filled with crushed lava rock and soil, and the filter inlet, which is covered with a stainless steel mesh shrimp guard, sit on top of the soil at the rear, so nothing is really drwn through the rock as such.

A primary objective for me is having as little equipment visible as possible, so having the overflow outlet (for the automated water changes), and the filter inlet and outlet in the rear corner was the obvious choice, and that drove the positioning for me. The filter outlet fires water across the surface over the tops of the stems and creates some turbulence and distribution in amongst them, it then hits the side glass at something of an angle, bounces towards the front glass and then travels along the middle and bottom of the front of the tank, before being drawn back up over the front of the rocks and through the stems.

This seems to give a good circular distribution, and covers almost all areas, and as an added bonus creates a natural collection point for detritus in the bottom left hand corner for easy vacuuming out. My main issue has been that having a large CO2 reactor on the filter outlet sucks the velocity out of the flow from the Oase 850, so the Nero 3 was required to give the flow a bit more of a push around the front of the tank to ensure that I got a bit of leaf movement on the far left hand side.

I probably could have done away with the CO2 reactor and just accepted more CO2 bubbles in the tank, and a higher injection rate, and then might not have needed the Nero 3, but it's working as is now, and I've accepted the aesthetic for now.
Appreciate the detailed response, makes much more sense now, I assumed that the inlet was low to the bottom like the conventional approach. seems to def work for you, the tank is looking very good indeed.

Back