• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Kitchen nano 35L

Yeah, diatoms. Nerites and Otocinclus munch it. Or just keep up with waterchanges and maintenance and it will eventually disappear.

Looks like you got staghorn on that last pic too. A thorough clean of tank and filter can help there, although it's a bastich to get completely rid of. Extreme measures include Excel/Easy-carbo, peroxide and rescapes :O

Where did you see it?!

I have peroxide bathed a number of the plants, crypts won’t fair well with it so haven’t done them, is that why you spotted it on?

I have some excel, will try that!

The ta k gets 3 50% water changes a week, I haven’t cleaned the filter since setting it up a month ago, worth a clean?

Thanks for you help!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah, 1 pump of both tropica green and orange! Once a week.

that’s way too little mate, start dosing 1ml of tropica green per day and see how it goes ;)

as for the WC, I would advise 50% per week or 20% two times a week. No need of more.

you can clean the filter too.

cheers

that’s way too little mate, start dosing 1ml of tropica green per day and see how it goes ;)

as for the WC, I would advise 50% per week or 20% two times a week. No need of more.

you can clean the filter too.

cheers

Ok! Great thanks! I’ve read so many conflicting this RE: ferts do/do not encourage algae, thought I’d stay on the cautious side, will start dosing higher and see what happens.

Why would you advise reduced water changes?

that’s way too little mate, start dosing 1ml of tropica green per day
Agree with this your giving your plants high light co2 injection then not giving them the nutrients to use either of them sufficiently so the plants are lacking allowing algee and diatomes to take over
You shouldnt need to be doing water changes that often now at the start to take out access waste from the soil and transission period but 4 weeks in the tank should be left to settle down a little and find a balance

Tucker, can you tell me how long your actual light fitting is please? Excluding any brackets or wires etc.

Tropica say 5 pumps (10ml) a week for a 100L aquarium so I would have thought 2 pumps a week (4ml) would be a good starting point? Just a thought. I actually dose a lot less on my 37L Nano but I’ve only got easy to grow stuff but they’re growing like mad and no algae since I put the shrimp in.

Tucker, can you tell me how long your actual light fitting is please? Excluding any brackets or wires etc.

Tropica say 5 pumps (10ml) a week for a 100L aquarium so I would have thought 2 pumps a week (4ml) would be a good starting point? Just a thought. I actually dose a lot less on my 37L Nano but I’ve only got easy to grow stuff but they’re growing like mad and no algae since I put the shrimp in.

The light fitting is 45cm. The exact width of the tank.

Agree with this your giving your plants high light co2 injection then not giving them the nutrients to use either of them sufficiently so the plants are lacking allowing algee and diatomes to take over
You shouldnt need to be doing water changes that often now at the start to take out access waste from the soil and transission period but 4 weeks in the tank should be left to settle down a little and find a balance

Thanks jay, will start upping the dose, to daily 1ml

Should I just leave the tropica orange out? And stick with green?

Last edited:
I've never used either @Tucker90 always make my own all in one solution but I'd do the green first see how it goes I know juris of you tube uses them

I've never used either @Tucker90 always make my own all in one solution but I'd do the green first see how it goes I know juris of you tube uses them

Does he or is he just sponsored by them

I need to get my head round making my own. So much cheaper.

Does he or is he just sponsored by them
Yes he is so that's one of the reasons he uses them if you watch his videos there always with some kind of tropica product
I need to get my head round making my own. So much cheaper
It is quiet easy once you know your recipe if you want a go at it I can help you with pleasure mate I can send you my amounts and what you need for a mix

Yes he is so that's one of the reasons he uses them if you watch his videos there always with some kind of tropica product

It is quiet easy once you know your recipe if you want a go at it I can help you with pleasure mate I can send you my amounts and what you need for a mix

I’ll pm you!

Quick update:

70% water change.

trimmed all the stems right down to 2cm ish!

Ordered everything I need for EI thanks to jay... again.

Tried to clean my pipes as members had complained about the state of them... and broke my inlet. Great. I blame you ....

Looks great.

That intake pipe needs cleaning though! :lol:

How do you guys remove your glassware from the hose? Without breaking them.

End with a bare looking FTS

2c921ff97c375de2b2023145873e9db2.jpg

Thanks

Unsucktion (not sure that's a real word lol ) and just wiggle the pipe til you hear the seal break then while you do your maintenance pop the pipes in a bleach water solution about 10_1 I use warm water then when finished maintenance flush out should be pretty clean I do mine once week so they dont get a build up and the seal isnt really stuck.

Ah no that's not good, i'm dreading the day i break mine..... It's pretty much inevitable! I do a few things that may help you:
1) always hold the glassware on the straight bit/base and never near a bend.
2) you can try break the seal a little by running your finger nail around the seal
3) when you hear the seal break you can push the tubing in a tiny bit to break it properly
4) try wiggle the tubing in a small circular motion while holding the glassware near the base and the tubing should start coming off as you wiggle.

Back