• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Konrad's Iwagumi

Great pics! Keep up the good work.
Any tips aquascaping iwugami?

Planning on doing one on my 30 litre

Thanks. 30ltr is not a lot so you will be slightly limited to only smaller rocks. Do a lot of planning before you create the actual hardscape and think twice whether you really want Iwagumi style in your tank. As you only use small plants not a lot will be changing and you get bored with it quickly. If it's going to be high tech you will need to be very carefull with light, ferts and co2 as it is very easy to get algae bloom. Do loads of research on the forum before you start doing anything. Good luck.

Amazing aquascape mate.
That rockwork is incredible.
May i ask whats the name of thise rocks? They are beautiful.
I don't find iwagumis boring though.
I do find that nano iwagumi's develop quite fast.
Once they are fullh grown it gets hard to keep them looking good as the plants start invading each others spaces.
So it tends to be short lived scapes. Unless your willing to do a lot of maintenance to keep it looking good.
My opinion though, sure many will disagree.

how is the tank Konrad?
Sorry for not updating the thread for a long time but really there is not much to report. Everything was growing rather nicely without major issues.
Vivipara on the back took over and block the flow completely so had to be trimmed like weekly and eventually I got sick of it and trimmed it up to the soil level. Staurogyne on the left was getting to high so had to trimm it too. No problems with monte carlo (trimmed a dosen of times). The only little problem which I've always had is some BBA on the hairgrass, which I can't really get rid of). I added some Fissiden fontanus in places but it's not showing up yet due to slow growth. Araguaia on the right getting too big and I'm thinking about removing it completely. In the front middle I tried to make a path of MC but it didn't really work so planted hairgrass again. I don't really have much time to take a nice photo so just a quick one with some dirty pipes in and some unsightly looking floaters. Also MC is after trimm so not great looking too.
AA84D8CF-D938-42E2-8BDA-AF5461A9F0D2_zpsb9kb0vrd.jpg

Last edited:
So, the IAPLC is out of the way and it's time for a little update. Unfortunately I ended up on the position No 660, which is not great but I'm happy with how it looks like and that's the most important bit. Photobucket compressed the quality of a photo so it doesn't look sharp but I couldn't work out how to upload it better way. It's been a while since the photo was taken so hopefully soon I will find some more time to take another one.
F3FF7E61-53C3-478E-9F1D-336CC1671FB6_zpsiiklnhri.jpg

very nice, did you do anything to the substrate (like plastic "guards") to block the hair grass runners from spreading into the MC?

very nice, did you do anything to the substrate (like plastic "guards") to block the hair grass runners from spreading into the MC?
Thanks. There is no need to separate them. When monte carlo is spreading just pull the grass runers out of it. Then eventually monte carlo will get so dense that grass will have no chance to go through. All you need to do after is keep monte carlo in control - a pair of good scissors would be very helpful.

Thanks! I have a DSM with very similar plants, the MC has been down for some time while the HG is newly planted so I think the MC will grow dense enough as you have said to block any HG... hopefully!

nice one konrad you should be happy over 2000 entry and you come 660 that good keep up the good work mate. i might enter one day so some advice would be great

cheers
ryan
I have already seen a few works from positions between 60-200 and it made me think who placed them that high. Even I could notice a poor plants quality, poor photo quality, lack of maintenance on some of them. I thought those are the factors which are taken to the consideration. But nevermind, one day I will get to the top 500 ;) last year I was 606th but my tank was fairly poor.

Congrats on quite high rank! Comparing to some others work I've seen - you made it very good.

Just one note: that eleocharis vivpara on the back - personally I like other pictures without it much more. Or maybe I'd cut it lower.

Congrats on quite high rank! Comparing to some others work I've seen - you made it very good.

Just one note: that eleocharis vivpara on the back - personally I like other pictures without it much more. Or maybe I'd cut it lower.
Thanks for your feedback Alexander. I've tried all different options and I think I liked it the most with a long grass. Like you said, must be just personal preference.

Very nice tank.. :)

Back