• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Kosh's New Tank - 3 x 2 x 2 with sump (low tech)

Kosh42-EFG

Well my new tank arrived last week, and I'm currently in the throws of setting it up.

The tank is a 3 x 2 x 2 (supplied by a non-sponsor's Godiva range: http://bit.ly/k25XiW) with Optiwhite glass on the front and left side. It comes with a wier in the back corner that drains to a 36 x 15 x 15 sump, and comes on a stand with matching pelmet that I specified (I chose the finish of the board, whether to have handles, etc). Time from order to it being delivered and in my living room was just under four weeks.

The sump has a top-up section, a section for filtration where the water enters the sump (comes with a filter sock for mechanical filtration, but I will also fill this section with biological media), a section I am going to use for emergent plant growth (this tank is designed for marines and this section is intended for a deep sand bed) and a return section that will house the return pump and heaters.

So far I've suspended by old-style Arcadia T5 Luminare over the tank, sorted the electrics (the tank now runs off a latched RCD socket feeding two extension cables) and I'm currently just finishing off the plumbing (the tank comes supplied with all the fittings needed, including solvent weld and silicone). Then it's ready for water.

The tank will be fairly low tech so mostly only using two of the four lamps in my lighting unit, no CO2 and minimal ferts. I am planning to use Easycarbo with appropriate light and nutrients for the first few weeks, then ween it off before introducing fish to help the plants establish.

Based on the sucess I've had in this thread (which I must update), I'm using cat litter as a base again. For hard scape there's two pieces of Redmoor Root I bought from TGM over a year ago that I fell in love with. I've drilled holes in the bottom of the roots and attached them to egg crate to keep them in position.

Volume is about 300l. The circulation will be from the Ocean Runner 3500 return pump (I'm expecting half the rated flow because of the hear hight - this means the tank water will pass through the sump about six time per hour), supplemented by a Koralia Nano 1500.

This is it so far (cabinet doors and centre support have been removed while I work in the cabinet):
Tank.jpg

Ooh exciting, I am familiar with Robin's Godiva aquariums, I particularly like the latest cabinets that have a lacquered seemless finishes. Great because there is much less chance of any water ingress if you ever have an accident with water spillage.

Nice dimensions on the aquarium too.

Didn't splash out for the lacquered, though did see the prototype when I visited the shop. Very nice.

Finished off the sump pipework tonight and all tested and OK so far. Pics to follow...

Back