• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Krish's 60cm Fern Mountain

Re: Krish's 60L Fern Mountain

Usually attributed to a low phosphate level, so you could up the ferts in this area. Mind you, if it's just a bit on the glass and/or anubias leaves I wouldn't worry too much about it. Just clean it off regularly and do good water changes.

I thought the previous photos looked like the tank was a bit "dirty" (hope you don't mind me saying) but the recent ones show it looking a lot cleaner, so well done. I don't know if this was more cleaning on your part or the ottos but it seems to have done the trick.

The java fern in the back seems to lift the whole tank.

What's your current stocking?

beeky said:
I thought the previous photos looked like the tank was a bit "dirty" (hope you don't mind me saying) but the recent ones show it looking a lot cleaner, so well done. I don't know if this was more cleaning on your part or the ottos but it seems to have done the trick.

Thanks for the tip I will do so as soon as possible. :D
It's true the was very dirt looking and its fair to say that. To be honest though the ottos did all the work, I tryed but there was too much.
Stocking at the moment is 8 Neon tetras, 5 Rummy nose tetras, 2 corys, 5 ottos, 2 threadfin rainbows, 3 neon gobies and 1 loney black neon tetra.

Time for a quick update, sorry I have'nt posted in a few months anyway,
I have added,
5 Blue Neon Stiphodons (4 males and 1 female)
4 Red Neon Stiphodons (All male)
1 Bubble Zebra Stiphodon (Male)
All are getting along and are healthy :D

Crypts are growing well, still hoping for the left side to fill in to match the right side. I have given up on HC and have moved on to hairgrass, it spreading well and the java fern narrow is a lush green sending out plantlets.

Full Tank Shot
lunapic_12816523997303_1.jpg

Bubble zebra cleaning the moss I had to thin out.
IMG_7857.jpg

The red and blue stiphs chilling on the anubias leaves.
IMG_7950.jpg

One of the older males showing off his fins.
IMG_7867.jpg

Looks at the size difference between the two species.
IMG_7875.jpg

One of the new red males I brought.
IMG_7921.jpg

The blue one poking his head out there colour seems to fade very quickly.
IMG_7917.jpg

The biggest and oldest male eating the algea wafer.
IMG_7939.jpg

I am hopping to get some more female stiphs and to add a shoal of cardinal tetras soon.
Thanks for look.

Looking good :thumbup:

Where can I find out more about these 'stiphs'?

Google doesn't seem to know they exist!!

EDIT: Ohhhhhhhhhhh Stiphodon!

BTW if you're having algae issues and everything you ar doing seems to be correct, it's gonna be the flow. I added a Koralia nano pump and now I have about 5% of the algae I had before. (Obviously you have to first check light, ferts, CO2, cleanliness). But flow was key for me.

PM said:
Looking good :thumbup:

Where can I find out more about these 'stiphs'?

Google doesn't seem to know they exist!!

EDIT: Ohhhhhhhhhhh Stiphodon!

BTW if you're having algae issues and everything you ar doing seems to be correct, it's gonna be the flow. I added a Koralia nano pump and now I have about 5% of the algae I had before. (Obviously you have to first check light, ferts, CO2, cleanliness). But flow was key for me.

Hi PM,
Thanks for the advice :thumbup:

Full tank shot as you can see nothing really has changed :( The drop checker is blue because the lights just turned on when the C02 turned on.
IMG_8067.jpg

Added hairgrass to the foreground gave up on HC for now :rolleyes:
IMG_8072.jpg

My new pet hate... Green spot algea.. I cant seen to get rid of it :( Need tips on getting RID OF IT....
IMG_8073.jpg

My dirty moss that really need a trim. Any tips on keeping it clean.
IMG_8075.jpg

I am hoping if everything gets better I can entre the AGA Contest.

Thanks for looking,
Krish

Krish's Bettas said:
The drop checker is blue because the lights just turned on when the C02 turned on.

This is most likely the problem then. It should be green when the lights turn on. I turn on my CO2 2.5 hours before my lights come on to allow it to build up, so that's it's available to the plants straight away.

Also, I find using an UP Atomizer (search on ebay) far more affective than a ceramic disc CO2 diffuser. Much better diffusion, (micro bubbles) and doesn't get covered in algae like the white discs!

Hope this helps, like the tank :)

Keep the co2 up, possibly increase ferts, increase water changes.
Best way of cleaning moss is with a pippette to blow the rubbish out of it which siphoning the glunge out.
Removing the leaves of the anubias that are affected will help get spores out of the tank, also it "should" increase flow through that area and help get more co2 to the plants.
Give the crypts a trim too. It's all coming together, it's just fine tuning.

Hi Everyone,

Thanks for the comments, sadly this tank is on it's last legs so I can rescape it.
PM said:
Krish's Bettas said:
The drop checker is blue because the lights just turned on when the C02 turned on.

This is most likely the problem then. It should be green when the lights turn on. I turn on my CO2 2.5 hours before my lights come on to allow it to build up, so that's it's available to the plants straight away.

Also, I find using an UP Atomizer (search on ebay) far more affective than a ceramic disc CO2 diffuser. Much better diffusion, (micro bubbles) and doesn't get covered in algae like the white discs! Hope this helps, like the tank :)

Thanks for the advice and I have brought a UP Atomizer for my rescape they seem to be very good.

Garuf said:
Keep the co2 up, possibly increase ferts, increase water changes.
Best way of cleaning moss is with a pippette to blow the rubbish out of it which siphoning the glunge out.
Removing the leaves of the anubias that are affected will help get spores out of the tank, also it "should" increase flow through that area and help get more co2 to the plants.
Give the crypts a trim too. It's all coming together, it's just fine tuning.

Thanks for the tips they have seemed to help abit.

I still have greenspot algea and have some Black Bush Algea too :(

IMG_8157.jpg

Here is a rushed full tank shot, i think that the anubias needs to grow back on the left. I added some floasting plants but now I am abit unsure about them now. My hairgrass lawn is growing well in the middle. I still think flow is the issue can advice on placing the powerhead.

IMG_7971.jpg

IMG_7970.jpg

Here is the blue stiphodon sorry the picture is a dark, but they are still very colourfull and interesting to watch I only wish they stay that same colour everytime I see them. :rolleyes:

IMG_7966.jpg

IMG_7965.jpg

IMG_7962.jpg

Here is the red stiphodon changing colour to a dark/black body and electric blue cheeks they look awsome. Again I only wish they stay that same colour everytime I see them. :rolleyes: They sure do love they algea wafers.

IMG_8165.jpg

Is this a good drop checker colour it has DK4 water and a drop of the drop checker soloution given.

Thanks for the comments and thanks for looking,
Krish

Hi all,
Personally I'd ignore the GSA (discoid Coleochaete spp.). If you have the combination of high PAR levels and a solid surface (including Anubias leaves) you are always likely to have it. The Coleochaetales share an ancestor with all the higher green plants (from Chara to mosses to flowering plants) and are very similar in pigments, nutrient requirements etc.

I certainly wouldn't bump the CO2 up, Stiphodon Gobies are highly rheophilic and likely to suffer respiratory distress at low O2:CO2 ratios. For this reason I'd also try and maintain fairly low temperatures, high flow and regular filter cleaning. You are also probably a bit over-stocked.

cheers Darrel

Hi Everyone,

This tank has been striped down and rescaped. I have to say that I have negleted this tank pretty bad and the picture shows it :bored: If there is one thing I have learnt from this tank is that you need a balance of light, C02 and nutriants. Also good flow helps a lot.

IMG_8411.jpg

Please take a look at the rescaped tank here:
viewtopic.php?f=35&t=13425

Thanks for looking and also thank you to everyone who has helped me through this tank lol,
Krish

Hi Pm

PM said:
Krish's Bettas said:
Hi,

PM said:
REPORTED.

What have I done?

Krish

Hi, don't worry, a user spammed about thirty threads, I believe he's been deleted now. I just put that so others knew that it had been reported, sorry if I worried you! Hope the tank's going well :)

Thanks I was thinking i did something wrong them lol, good job for reporting that guy.

Back