• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Krish's 60cm Fern Mountain

Krishs Bettas

Well I am going to start my first "real" planted tank. After about a year of planning and learning how to grow plamts correctly. Thanks all you lot who have helped me. :D

Equipment:
60l Float Glass Aquarium 60 x 30 x 35cm
Hagen T5HO unit with 1x 24w light tube.
Tetratec ex700
Hydor Koralia Nano
Pressurised C02 and Easy Carbo

Plants:
Hemianthus Callitrichoides Cuba,
Cryptocoryne Parva,
Cryptocoryne Wendtii 'Brown',
Cryptocoryne Wendtii 'Tropica',
Cryptocoryne Wendtii 'Mi Oya'
Anubias Nana,
Java Fern Narrow,
Weeping moss,
Vallisneria nana,
Anubias Bonsai

Hardscape:
Redmoor wood
Mini Landscape Rocks

Substrate:
Tropica Substrate caped with Eco Complete.

Fish and Inverts:
Cardinal Tetras
Rummy Nose Tetras
Threadfin Rainbowfish
Otocinclus
Stiphodon
Cherry Shrimp
Amano Shrimp

Fertilisation:
EI method and Tropica Plant Nutrion +

That sounds fantastic and that will be a great combination of plants.

For a tank that size I might suggest that you will do better to select two or three different kinds of fish and have a small group for each.

t will be great to see some pictures.

Yeah I was planning to change the fish in the next few months. Also pictures will be up tommorow after the water change.

Time for the pictures, sorry its been a while I just have not had enough time.

IMG_2559.jpg

The first lot of plants will be coming today or friday. :D
I am going to replace the narrow fern because its very old (4 years old :woot: ) and its not in the best shape.
Can any of you give me some tips on taking a full tank shot?

Re: Krish's 60cm Fern Mountain PLANTED... Half way

Finally got my plants. Crypts just keeping on melting. The HC has not gown yet. Vallis all melt (easy carbo).
However there is some new growth on the weeping moss. I need to buy more Crypts to fill in the gaps.
I am proberly going to reagrange the rocks and the cryts.

IMG_2603.jpg

Please comment and leave feedback.

Quick Update:

The crypts have stoped melted hopefuly new leaves will grown back soon.
The HC is growing horizontal and it's pearling :D
The java fern narrow is not doing to well because so of the leaves have turned brown because of the lack of light behided the rocks.

Now the problems. One of the main one is algae the is brown and green spot.
If anyone knows any tips how to get rid of it?

Clean up crew:
6x Cherry Shrimp
8x Amano Shrimp
5x Ottos
8x Freshwater Gobies.

Time for a update.

First of all I found out the problem to my HC issue, it was due to the gravel being to big so it could'nt cling to it so I added some "finer" gravel and its seems to be rooting alittle and the other problem was flow so I add a Koralia and this has improved the HC.

IMG_5908.jpg

Full tank shot still needs improving alot. Tips anyone :angelic:

IMG_5931.jpg

The moss on the would is growing well and hopefuly with a harsh trim it should begin to "weep" I hope.....

IMG_5921.jpg

Added some Anubias "Petti" to cover up the bare wood. I can't wait till more leaves grow.

IMG_5927.jpg

Cryts are doing the best I think the have filled in alot. I really like how they change colour from a bright green to a dark green then an amber yellow and then finally a nice rich brown colour. The leaves also change alot from being round-ish to a crinkle looking leaf.

However the bad think is that the Java Fern Narrow died due to lack of light at the bottem.
Also I have add 3 Freshwater Neon red Gobies very nice. But I really want them to colour up :twisted:

Krish's Bettas said:
...However the bad think is that the Java Fern Narrow died due to lack of light at the bottem...
Highly unlikely that Java fern dies due to lack of light. More likely dies due to poor CO2.

The following are are all classic symptoms of poor CO2 or at least are clues that you need to do a better job at flow/distribution optimization:

Krish's Bettas said:
...The java fern narrow is not doing to well because so of the leaves have turned brown...
Krish's Bettas said:
...Now the problems. One of the main one is algae the is brown and green spot...
Krish's Bettas said:
...Crypts just keeping on melting...

Cheers,

Okay time for a small update:

I have added some Cryptocoryne wendtii "Mi Oya" very colourdul plants the colours varying from Green, to red to brown and I think even Yellow? It adds a nice amount of colour in the tank.

IMG_5940.jpg

I like it :D :thumbup: What type of Ikea Cabinet is it and do the fish ever argue?

Thanks, Celestial.

Celestial said:
I like it :D :thumbup: What type of Ikea Cabinet is it and do the fish ever argue?

Thanks, Celestial.

The cabbinet... I don't really Know mt parrents brought it for me :lol: and the fish live toghter happily.

UPDATE:

I finally got some Stiphodon. Or better known as "Red Neon" There are 3 in the tank and they are all interesting :D

IMG_5965.jpg

The one on the rock is the oldest male and is changing colour to a black/golden colour. The big male is flaring at the young male. There colours get so bright when they do this. There dorsal fin is amazing.

IMG_5966.jpg

IMG_5988.jpg

They like to "perch" on rocks and the Anubias leaves.

IMG_5973.jpg

IMG_5974.jpg

There colour changes when you have a flash on/off. The same male.

IMG_5986.jpg

Here's the tank at a different angle.

IMG_5996.jpg

Full tank shot. I think Cardinal Tetras suit this aquascape well.

Thanks for looking,
Krish

Love the Stiphs, I think they are one of the coolest new species in the hobby, just wish they were more available. T

TBRO said:
Love the Stiphs, I think they are one of the coolest new species in the hobby, just wish they were more available. T

They are really interesting and very colourful. There are only a few shops that sell them thou :( I wish I could import some :lol:

Looks lovely Krish.
Quick note on the livestock - your Cherry shrimp and Rams may not mix so well, and the rams will definitely munch on any young shrimp. The Amanos should be fine as they are much bigger.
I had problems with my snowball shrimp and Rams in a heavily planted 200l so thought i best mention it!
Hope this helps!
Matt

bigmatt said:
Looks lovely Krish.
Quick note on the livestock - your Cherry shrimp and Rams may not mix so well, and the rams will definitely munch on any young shrimp. The Amanos should be fine as they are much bigger.
I had problems with my snowball shrimp and Rams in a heavily planted 200l so thought i best mention it!
Hope this helps!
Matt

Thanks for that I am now not going to put Rams in. I like cherrys too much.

QUESTION: I brought the Cradinals Tetras on Sunday. I have have lost at least half of the :(
Does anyone know why they dies off I need help quick.

Re: Krish's 60cm Fern Mountain HELP fish dieing...

Are there any obvious signs of disease?

If not, they can be very sensitive to ammonia and nitrite. If you have added a lot in one go, the filter may be going through a cycle and there may be a fair bit of ammonia the water. Can you do a test? If ammonia is present you may need reduce the lighting too as the ammonia will encourage algae.

Make sure you've got all the dead fish out, one hidden under the plants will only add to your problems. Remove any damaged/melting plant leaves as these will also leach ammonia as they rot. Do some daily water changes for a couple of weeks, cut right back on feeding the fish (once every 3 days) until thing settle down.

Re: Krish's 60cm Fern Mountain HELP fish dieing...

Just did a water test:

PH 7
Ammonia 0
Nirtites 0

I did add 15 at one time so that maybe a problem. Thanks for the advice.
Hopefull next time they won't die

Re: Krish's 60L Fern Mountain

UPDATE:

Found out the fish problem it was because I added to many fish at one time :bored: .
Lesson learnt.

Before
IMG_5908.jpg

and
After
IMG_6660.jpg

Some of the fish, I got some otto's a week ago and as soon as I brought them with in a day they cleaned up my tank of the brown algae 5 fish cleaned a a tank in a day thats craxy :lol: .

IMG_6634.jpg

I also got a pair of threadfin rainbowfish I'm planning to get some more soon. There are great but hard to get a photo of them.

IMG_6644.jpg

Here is some of the Neon Gobies:

IMG_6682.jpg

IMG_6615.jpg

They are changing colour as they are getting older from a browny colour to a black/gold colour.
IMG_6683.jpg

The same male grazzing on the ground.
IMG_6682.jpg

IMG_6615.jpg

Thanks for looking. :D

The tanks's looking good, however I think that there may be too many fish in the tank. A 60l tank with those dimensions should only have around 60cm of fully grown fish, so as they grow you may encounter problems with their health and algae due to the heavy bioload!

Posted with TouchBB on my iPod touch

Back