• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Kris's 30L - Moving soon, new camera

Kristoph91

Hi guys,

I've decided to make a start to a proper journal :D
It's a 30L Mirabello tank, will put up the proper dimensions soon.
Its currently undergoing fishless cycling at the moment back in Ireland.

I'm using Lava rock that I found at the Giants Causeway in County Antrim, as something a bit different hopefully catch someones eye :D

Substrate - Tesco's low dust Cat Litter, with osmocote underneath. Will be adding some play sand to make a small "beach" also.
Lighting - Boyu 3 x 8W T5 overhead. This will be hung properly once I get the chance.
Hardscape - Hopefully some nice Manzanita!
Filter - Eheim ecco 2232 (Thanks Antipofish :D)
CO2 - Going to do an FE/Welding canister set up when I have all the bits!
Livestock - I have a pair of dwarf gourami's, they're still juvenile, but they'll go in :D Undecided on other stuff.
Plants - Also undecided, though I know I'll be definitely having a carpet of HC, lots of moss on wood, hydrocotyle Verticillata and some stems. Also Narrow Leaf Java fern.

Still a lot of stuff is undecided, and at the moment it has a homemade filter on it, and bad lighting. But as soon as I'm home next month, lots will be done.
Feel free to critiscise the layout of the hardscape, and say what you like.
Just thought I'd get the ball rolling !

I have only one picture at the moment, and its from my phone. The water is cloudy etc so this was taken the day I set it up and started it to cycle it and the media in the "filter" :lol: Also ignore the wood and java ferns, these are temporary!

imag0479e.jpg

Here's a photo of the male gourami in his current residence too, along with some of the rock I've used.
imag05031.jpg

Enjoy critiscising! :D

Re: Giants Causeway "Lavagumi" 30L

I was having fun criticizing you just like you asked :p Didnt know it had to be about your tank. Just for reference its a quote from TES Oblivion that the guards keep yelling at you

Thanks Mortis for your wonderful input. :geek: :geek: :geek:

Thanks Harry I took it from the giants causeway, its a gorgeous rock. Very unique. :D

Lol sorry to have meesed up your thread I guess I was just in one of those random moods.

Rock looks great although some larger chunks towards the back would have made it better

Its alright :lol:

Thanks, yeah I think I will break a large spherical piece that I have up into two smaller pieces and use it towards the back, but I was planning to have some vivipara there or a dense curtain of stems. Don't know yet, what do you think?

Thanks

i would think about moving the rocks around keeping in mind the golden ratio:) Play about with your wood aswell :lol:

Are you going to be getting a nice luminaire? With only 0.8wpg you may struggle with some plants unless your growing crypts/moss ;) Great start matey! :thumbup:

HarryRobinson said:
i would think about moving the rocks around keeping in mind the golden ratio:) Play about with your wood aswell :lol:

Are you going to be getting a nice luminaire? With only 0.8wpg you may struggle with some plants unless your growing crypts/moss ;) Great start matey! :thumbup:

3x 8w = 24w

30l = 8g

24/8= 3wpg ;).... more than enough to grow all plants i can think of.

Unless im missing something lol.

Nice start Kris although a bit sparse hardscape wise?.... was this the plan and then fill with plants?

Thanks Harry I took it from the giants causeway, its a gorgeous rock. Very unique. :D[/quote]

...Is that not being a bit naughty being a heritage site :shh:

...yeah it is nice, why didnt i nick a few when i was there ;)

Think you're a wee bit off Harry! Are you talking about the iwagumi rule ?
I made the name up, knowing nothing about iwagumi :lol:
Anyone wanna fill me in ?

Thanks for the save Jenclibee :D
What do you think I should do to it ? Going to get some nice wood, and do a small "beach" too.
Hopefully HC carpet too!

Thanks

Curefan, I know, but I was using it for "artistic" purposes :lol:
Ah its hard to find actually ;) you have to know where to go! :D

Thanks

Okay as I'm back in Ireland now, I've just finished most of the tank, although still some substrate work to do and I've got some hairgrass from a mate that is covered in algae.

Will post pics tomorrow, but just out of interest.. Do dwarf gourami's hate flow or is this a myth ?

Cheers!

Giants Causeway "Lavagumi" 30L - Now Shrimp Only Tank

Hi guys,

Last few weeks have been a bit weird as I've been working a lot and messing with my car. But I was slowly transferring all my RCS to this tank.

Now they're all in, and things are going great. :D
Keep in mind, all plants have been either discount price or donated. The substrate is cat litter and beach sand.

This tank has cost me no more than a crate of Peroni to set up. :D Which is good, as I haven't got a lot of money :lol:

Will upload pics of the finished product soon, still have to get CO2 and Ferts sorted for the plants.

I'll think of a better name for this journal soon, Shrimp Forest comes to mind.

Regards

Re: Giants Causeway "Lavagumi" 30L **BIG UPDATE**

Okay.

Here's the big update ! :D

I apologise in advance for the terrible photography ... Phone Camera :oops:

The tank will need a new name, but I have no idea how to incorporate lava and shrimp into a good name :lol:

I don't know what some of the plants are called, maybe people can help me out on this.
But here's the tank spec;

- 30L Aquarium Systems tank
- 24W Boyu luminaire
- Azoo Mignon 150 HOB
- Yeast CO2
- 50W Heater (I think :oops: )

The substrate and hardscape consists of;

- Cat litter and beach sand (from a local beach)
- Lava rock from the Giants Causeway
- Manzi and twigs from my local lake
- Mixture of dead leaves (Oak and Beech)

Plant list

- Christmas and Java Moss
- Fissidens Fontanus
- Hydrocotyle Verticillata
- Hydrocotyle Sp. Japan
- Pogostemon Helferi
- Philippine Java Fern
- Hairgrass (Acicularis)
- Rotala Rotundifolia "red"
- Vallisneria
- Random Crypts (Got for free in LFS they were throwing them out! :eek: )
- Frogbit, Salvinia Natans and (unintentionally) DUCKWEED :twisted:
Probably more but don't know the names :oops:

Livestock

- Red Cherry Shrimp
- Crystal Red Shrimp (S Grade)
- Red and Brown Ramshorns

Okay so after months of messing about I've finally decided on a "medium tech" shrimp only tank.

Here's how the tank looked a month ago

imag0742y.jpg

Not so good.

And here's how it looks now :D

imag09141.jpg

Much better eh ? ;)

Here's some more photos, for those who want to see. :)

imag09271.jpg

imag0925x.jpg

By krishumphreys at 2012-07-10

imag0924w.jpg

imag0923.jpg

imag0922a.jpg

imag0921e.jpg

imag0920m.jpg

imag0917.jpg

imag08721.jpg

By krishumphreys at 2012-07-04

Thanks to EVERYONE :D:D:D who has donated plants (and livestock) to this tank.

Enjoy the pictures - and feel absolutely free to critiscise and comment on my errors.
Tips are also very welcome, as this is my first "proper" planted tank.

Re: Giants Causeway "Lavagumi" 30L **BIG UPDATE**

that has turned out a nice looking tank, if you are ever heading down south in Ireland (west cork area) send me a pm and i am sure i could give you a good few plants to tempt you set up another tank

Re: Giants Causeway

Alastair said:
Looking good mate. :)

Thanks Alastair, your choccy puddle is coming along very nicely I see ! Really into that tank :D

bogman said:
that has turned out a nice looking tank, if you are ever heading down south in Ireland (west cork area) send me a pm and i am sure i could give you a good few plants to tempt you set up another tank

Hi Bogman, thanks a lot :D I'm pretty pleased with it - just needs to grow out now.
Thats a brilliant reason to visit Cork (and all the pubs in it :lol:) I might just take you up on that offer before I head back to the UK for Uni. :D
I'm a massive fan of your tank on here, I'd love to try one like that one day!
We need more people from the south on here don't you think ;)

tim said:
looking really good kris nice shrimp btw.this is a very natural looking setup mate big :thumbup:

Hi Tim, thanks mate :D That's what I was going for, I know the plants aren't from a specific biotope (Or anything in the tank for that matter :lol:) but I wanted it to look sort of natural. :D

Back