• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Kris's 30L - Moving soon, new camera

Re: Giants Causeway "Lavagumi" 30L - BIG UPDATE 06/08/12

KrisHumphreys1991 said:
Mike, I try and try and try...... 3 otos and a Nerite later, I've got about 30% of the glass clean :lol:

Lol you lazy sod, clean it yourself and dont leave it to the poor ottos :lol: :rolleyes:

:lol:

The nerite is munching his way around but he is digging around my plants too!! :(

KrisHumphreys1991 said:
:lol:

The nerite is munching his way around but he is digging around my plants too!! :(

Take away his bucket and spade then... But seriously, REALLY? Take a pic, I don't believe you. LOL

I'm serious! He digs himself in really well then has to "back out" :lol:

Can you give me some help on the algae and baldy stems Chris ?

Got my Eheim Ecco from Chris. Getting straight on to it!

Hi guys !

Bit of an update :)

Tank is filling in nicely as you can see, still got diatoms though, on the sides of the tank from the sunlight coming in from the window and the door of our study. Also got weird green fuzz algae all over one "moss branch". Annoying! :oops:

But I've starting dosing VIMI Accelerator (Liquid Carbon) twice a day and I'm hoping this will slowly sort out all my algal worries :D

Added and removed a few plants recently.
Added a lily from the garden pond, don't know the name of it but when it gets some proper leaves I'll show them, right now they're very narrow thin leaves. In the pond they are the size of the palm of your hand and brown/red in colour.
Here's a pic of them in the tank.

imag1426m.jpg

They're the very thin leaves behind the hydrocotyle vert.

Also added another large lily bulb my uncle gave me from his pond. He said it wasn't growing at all. It's sprouted a new red leaf already looks very red, the picture I have is an overhead picture so not great, flow ruined it and its on my phone.

imag1483.jpg

Any ID would be helpful :D

Now onto new hardware, I have acquired an Aquaclear AC70 HOB I was going to use it for a pico reef - but I haven't got the money right now. So I've made it my larger HOB on the tank. It's right next to the Azoo, on lowest setting.

imag1484.jpg

imag1485.jpg

Flow is now excellent, although I doubt I'll need any of the HOB's when I get my Lily's and other extras from TankScape :D:D:D:D:D

Livestock-wise, I've added another snail - a much smaller one. A horned Nerite. The Zebra keeps moving stuff round too much and getting out of the tank so I'm going to move him on I think!

Here's a few pics of both snails.
Horned -
imag1481i.jpg

Zebra plus hitchhiker -
imag1383f.jpg

The oto's are also getting on great, feeding well on peas, cabbage and cucumber!
They're most active in the evening.

imag1428.jpg

Hydrocotyle Sp. Japan is doing superb! Pearls massively after a WC, which I love to watch, pearls only a tiny amount on full lighting (24W)

imag1435w.jpg

All comments welcome :D

Re: Giants Causeway "Lavagumi" 30L - Slowly getting there :D

Forgot to mention, moved the Vallis to a friends tank because it was becoming nearly 3ft long and had sent out four runners.

It also doesnt agree with the Liquid Carbon :D

Re: Giants Causeway "Lavagumi" 30L - Slowly getting there :D

Quick update.

Moving to Uni next week, don't know how I'm going to get this tank there (Ferry trip, drive etc.) without ruining it.

In other news, got a new camera so the pictures will be a lot more decent.

Here you go guys!

7982634221_1f1c58848d_z.jpg
IMG_1453 by KrisHumphreys1991, on Flickr

7982629276_e6a4480910_z.jpg
IMG_1231 by KrisHumphreys1991, on Flickr

How long is the journey Kris ? Im thinking drain it right down (you may need to push a little bit of substrate back at the front or corner of the tank so you can get the water almost right out). Then wet a load of scrunched up newspaper and lightly pack it with that. Then completely cover with a lot of clingfilm. The filter should be ok too as long as you keep it wet (My 2173 was fine 6 hours after being disconnected and others have suggested up to 24 hours would be fine). I emptied the filter of water when I got it home to discard any polluted water due to bacterial die off, hooked it up and bobs your uncle.

Hi kris,
Just to add to what Chris has just said, if your journey is longer than an hour ( which I suspect it is) your better off draining the filter of water also to allow oxygen to the bacteria...they die off due to lack of oxygen so for longer periods of disuse your better off draining it...dont let it dry out but let it breathe :thumbup:
Good luck it's looking great.
Cheerio
Ady

Antipofish said:
How long is the journey Kris ? Im thinking drain it right down (you may need to push a little bit of substrate back at the front or corner of the tank so you can get the water almost right out). Then wet a load of scrunched up newspaper and lightly pack it with that. Then completely cover with a lot of clingfilm. The filter should be ok too as long as you keep it wet (My 2173 was fine 6 hours after being disconnected and others have suggested up to 24 hours would be fine). I emptied the filter of water when I got it home to discard any polluted water due to bacterial die off, hooked it up and bobs your uncle.

Thanks for the advice mate. It's a 3 and a half hour ferry and a half hour drive. Not too long. I'm just dreading getting back into the car and the substrate being everywhere. :( PLUS they said no pets in the halls, but f**k that it's plants I'm keeping :lol:
That's what I'm going to do with the newspaper :)

Ady34 said:
Hi kris,
Just to add to what Chris has just said, if your journey is longer than an hour ( which I suspect it is) your better off draining the filter of water also to allow oxygen to the bacteria...they die off due to lack of oxygen so for longer periods of disuse your better off draining it...dont let it dry out but let it breathe :thumbup:
Good luck it's looking great.
Cheerio
Ady

Maybe I'll put the media in a bag with air and a little bit of water ? Might keep the moisture levels high enough from sloshing about and the air will be enough to let it breathe.

HarryRobinson said:
Looks amazing kris, very natural! :D I look forward to seeing how to the tank survives the trip, well, i say look forward, i mean hope to see it not wrecked :p

Cheers mate :) Haha i've got a feeling I'll end up with a whole new 'scape after the ferry and moving in etc. :lol:

ianho said:
looks a lot bigger than 30l!! really healthy as well.

Thanks Ian :D Yeah the health of the plants is great in this tank, I'm overfertilising and overdosing liquid carbon and CO2 so they're loving it! Lighting isn't too high so algae isnt a real problem in it anymore. :)

The only plants that aren't too healthy are the saggitaria, which send out runners every day, but the actual leaves do not like the liquid carbon. Weird! o_O

Back