• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Lampeye fry

Lindy

Hi, I removed my lampeyes from the 54l tank, temporarily, as I have berried crs and want to give the shrimplets a chance. While shrimp watching I have just noticed 2 lampeye fry hanging out in the sheltered spot behind the spraybar. What would you normaly feed fry this small? I'm surprised they have survived at all, maybe they have been eating the powdered shrimp food?

I get a few every so often and have almost raised the lot by starting with infusoria then after about 1 week freshly hatched brine shrimp.They are pretty slow growers but not hard to raise.I had them in a plastic dish floating on surface of the aquarium water in a corner of the tank and changed the water in the dish daily.Feed little and often trying not to leave surplus food.They might not be newly hatched so you might be able to start with the baby brine shrimp.Cheers mark

Thanks for reply. Have put them in a floating container and newly hatched brine shrimp arrived today so will see if they take it. Have set up a tank to get some infusoria but that may take a while.

If the tank is empty of all other fish then you might be best to leave them in the tank and add newly hatched brine shrimp to the tank. The fry will soon find it and eat it and they will eat all the microorganisms in the tank too.

The tank in question is my planted tank with crs. The flow from the filter is super strong, the brine shrimp would have been blown everywhere (think washing machine) and I don't want the water quality affected as expecting shrimplets any day now.

You could squirt a little brine near the frys and leave the filter off for about 5-10 mins and your water quality shouldnt be affected

Back