• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Large cube lighting help

darthpaul

Long time member but been out of the game for a long time. I have a large cube Aqua Oak aquarium https://www.fishkeeper.co.uk/aqua-oak-large-cube-aquarium-and-cabinet and I am looking to rescape my tank as its been long neglected.

I currently have an old aquaray tile led as the lighting but its starting to flicker and show its age. Before I dive in an replant the tank I wanted to look at upgrading the light but given the dimensions I am unsure what to get.

I like the look of the Fluval Aquasky 2 lights but width inside the hood is only 50cm and the tank depth is 70cm. So I could only fit in the 12w model and I dont think it would be strong enough.

Can anyone suggest any alternatives? I am not looking to setup high light plants, but i want enough light for the plants to grow!

Sorry to state the obvious, but how about 2 of them?
Don’t have to be the same, you could get a branded one and a cheap one to save a bit of cash.
No need to be sorry was considering that as an option, would work well I think. Hadnt thought about using a cheap one with the branded one though thats a good idea.

Nice tank. It's a difficult question to answer, but I would certainly stick a slimline LED floodlight under the hood in addition.

A point source ligh4 such as a floodlight would be better able to penetrate the tank depth.

like the look of the Fluval Aquasky 2 lights but width inside the hood is only 50cm and the tank depth is 70cm.
Even if you double up on this light (or similar), Substrate PAR will be much lower than the current Aquaray tile
Any tank with water column depth greater than 45cm, look for 1watt high intensity LEDs in order to have “depth penetration”

(the Twinstar S despite being a similar design style to the Fluval Aquasky, has much better depth penetration as they’ve used “better” components, eg, depending on design, a 0.2 watt LED may have twice the intensity ... guess which is cheaper and which is used in which branded light ;))

When placing LED inside a hood, consider cooling efficiency- as LEDs warm they “age” faster and decrease output/ alter spectra

Back