• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Large Dark Red Spots

jagillham

Hi all,

I’ve had these two blood red spots on some slate for quite a long while, which I pretty much had ignored.

I have today noticed a few more of these spots around the tank. I’m assuming maybe some kind of algae, but my google searching didn’t seem to help.

The tank has been running for a couple years, and I have just in the last few weeks started to dose EI. I’m having some issues with the CO2, and have a fairly inefficient atomiser going. I’ll be converting to some kind of reactor soon.

Generally there is a lot of algae in the tank. I was having issues with very green string algae which I’m on top of now. However I’m still seeing little green hairs on a lot of things, and some black beard algae more recently. The flow is very good, so I think / hope it’s just a matter of dialling in the CO2 to help.

Any suggestions or identification on the spots or more generally welcomed.

C3ADF6B4-7083-4227-ABD6-01FBE8B41F25.jpeg

288CB3E5-BF03-4927-A9AD-89AAB38790F5.jpeg

Hi all,
I’m assuming maybe some kind of algae, but my google searching didn’t seem to help.
Brilliant, I think you have something quite rare, and it is a <"Red Algae (Hildenbrandia rivularis)">. I've never seen it, but I've seen some of the marine species that look very similar.

QWHHHdQfCqfx.jpg

Hildenbrandia rivularis (Liebmann) J.Agardh Rio Seracino, Cascine di Buti, Pisa, Italy
© Fabio Rindi (f.rindi@univpm.it)

Have a look at <"Krusten-Rotalgen im Aquarium - Hildenbrandia rivularis | WIKI"> you will need Google Translate.

cheers Darrel

Last edited:
Back