• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Larry's Glade

nayr88 said:
this looks really nice mate, really clean and fresh looking. you must be very pleased with it.
easerthegeezer said:
Looks great saj, id say the ammania looks nibbled rather than co2. Wish i had bought 3 or 4 of these tanks before they were discontinued :(

Thanks all. Yep, pretty convinced ammania is down to snails. The sheer amount of snail eggs being laid on it (and not elsewhere) is a pretty clear sign. Unfortunately assassins don't survive long in this tank (or in my other tanks) because of the low PH. It has to be manual removal which is a pain.

I'm now starting to get some algae. Mainly cladaphora and a bit of hair but also the dreaded BBA. This is down to me trying to adjust the co2 level and the TMC nano reg valve being so crap. I've got some tips from Radik about getting a needle valve off ebay and attaching it so will probably give that a go.

motionless said:
Just read this from start to finish. What a brilliant thread! I love how you have started something and then just changed it! Brilliant. The final outcome is looking great. I have the same tank, two of them. Did you know though pets at home did a recall on that light unit for a fire hazard? The tanks have now been discontinued altogether no idea why as the tanks themselves are great.

I have a few questions if you don't mind me asking. 1: from the experience of trying to set up a low tech tank, what plants would you recommend to others? 2: your current co2 kit what is it? And 3: where the previous problems related to the use of those rocks do you think?

Thanks and are be following all updated progress!

Thanks for the kind words. Yep, I believe the supposed fire hazard was the fact that they didn't quite fit on to the glass snugly enough. Answers to questions are

1. Myrophyllum is a fantastic low tech stem, especially for nanos. I wouldn't recommend the red type though, I've had little success with it. Didiplis diandra also has done OK. The amano pearl grass (currently mid ground right) I've struggled with. It never rooted that well and is very fragile, even under co2. Might be removing it. Most mosses will do well but you need to keep them pretty clean. I've yet to find a carpeting plant that is low tech happy. Crypts are often great low tech plants but I think they are too big for a nano, even parva. But then I like miniaturisation.
2. co2 kit is a TMC nano reg on a 95g (I think) bottle. Not happy with it. I previously used the waterplant version which was crap but the TMC isn't much better. The valve is very hard to control so you spend ages adjusting it back and forth and it still takes a while to settle down so you can come back ten minutes later and find it running at a different rate than you thought. My problem is that the bottle has to sit on the shelf below and I'm not willing to lay a co2 bottle on its side.
3. Dunno if it was the rock but I don't take any chances in nano tanks any more. No rocks in this one and I'm using lava rock in my 12l which is inert. Dragon stone in my main tank but it's bigger and gets 50% weekly water changes anyway.

Back