• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Larvae or Worm Need help to Identify this little creature

Vivian Andrew

Hi all,

I setup my tank 16 days ago my tank details are
Tank - 36x18x22 inch
light - T5HO 39w x 2 6500k and 21w x 2 6500k
filter - 2000l/h and 1000l/h canister filter
soil - ADA aqua soil
CO2 - pressurized
Fert - EI dosing
Plants - HC Cuba, Staurogyne repens, Staurogyne sp. brown, Hygrophila sp. Quadrivalvis, Rotala sp. spikey, Limnophila Aromatica, Dwarf hairgrass, Hydrocotyle tripartita, Alternanthera reineckii mini

Everything was going fine for a week then i saw twisted leafs in new shoot of limnophila aromatica, initially i thought maybe calcium deficiency coz my water was so soft in my area, so added some gh booster but no difference after 4 days also then finally i saw some worm or larvae kind of bug crawling in the leaves which is eating all the new shoots of limnophila aromatica and staurogyne repens and forms a nest or cocoon using two leaves together i manually removed around 23 worms, i just wanna know what bug is this and is there any way to remove using fish or medicine. below are some pics.

bug1_(1).jpg

bug1_(2).jpg

Below is my limnophila aromatica and staurogyne repens totally damaged by these little buggers. eating all the new shoots

Limnophilla_aromatica.jpg

staurogyne_repens.jpg

And need one more information on the plant staurogyne Sp brown, this is first time i am trying this plant and the new leaves comes curled but within 2 days looks normal and healthy so when i checked web seen most of the pictures where the new shoot coming in curled and i am not able to find any information on this plant if anyone has experience with this plant kindly share some information.

In the below pic you can see new leaves looks curled. all other plants are doing really great.

staurogyne_sp_brown.jpg

Regards,

Vivian Andrew

As far as you know were the plants grown emersed prior to you buying them?

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

Yes the plants all grown emersed in the farm where i bought, but farm says they used to do potassium permanganate wash before shipping, i also doubt it came with the plants itself.

Looks like a larva of some sort...if there are no other critters in the tank you could try gassing them by turning up the CO2.

I tried that but no use. Anyhow 2 days back i added live stock after seeing no effect.

Many insect larvae can live amphibious for a part of their life.. :)

Thanks for sharing the video Marcel, its aquatic moth only, the behavior of the larvae is just like in the video, so now i need to wait for balance larvae to emerge moth :arghh:, and their is no treatment as far i checked need to remove manually whenever i see them.

Back