• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Lava Rock as Hardscape - How much does it really affect water quality?

AKD594

Seedling
Hi All

Just a quick question regarding Lava Rock as hardscape.
I've read in numerous places that lava rock acts as a great area for colonising denitrifying bacteria and thus will improve water quality.
Just wanted to ask you guys if (from your experience) you have found this to be true.
The main reason for this question is I am planning a small 25L/5ish Gallon low-tech tank and I figure I should utilise as many different avenues as reasonably possible to improve water quality.

Thanks in advance

It's more porous but you still need to do water changes. I can't imagine anything you could use that would change that. So, if you would prefer to use another type of rock, don't worry about it. I use lava rock because it's cheap, light, and the dark type is very attractive.

P

Such a quick response, thanks buddy.
I intend to change water regularly (especially with such a low tank volume).
Was just curious if anyone thinks that there is any noticeable increase in water quality through utilising lava rock.

Was just curious if anyone thinks that there is any noticeable increase in water quality through utilising lava rock.

I use it a lot but to be honest I am not sure how I could measure if there was an improvement in quality and what measure would you use?

It will certainly add a decent amount of surface area for nitrifying bacteria but given we are running (typically) heavily planted tanks, they will deal with the ammonia etc anyway.

Lava rock is great as cheap filter media... I suspect it will perform equally as good as the expensive stuff. Would be a neat experiment to do.

Reactions: MWS
I've used Lava rock in all my filters for a few years now - even dumping any original media that ships with the filters, it doesn't seem to hamper flow as much.

Depending on the time of year £3 - £7 gets you more gas barbecue briquettes (Lava Rock) than you know what to do with at most supermarkets - considerably more expensive at garden centres, nevertheless still cheap when pitched against the "special" stuff peddled by filter manufacturers.

I have no way of testing/substantiating this but can say I've never had a problem.

Back