• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Lava rocks, 20 liters

Thank you all, the stems in the background are getting very bushy and I will have to sort this out soon. Leaves are getting smaller and more colored with trimmings but no light and co2 can get inside

Jordi

hello ! you've got an exceptional tank there ! I absolutely love your hygrophila pinnatifida and how it sends runners - a plant that gave me a lot of headaches in my first tank , but I'll get right the next time :) - and your mosses - another headache of mine :banghead:
If I may express an opinion though : I think you should let the plants on the left side, behind the lava rock, grow taller and keep the ones on the right side smaller, I believe it would give a greater depth to your tank

Hi all

Quick update and phone picture:

bbaddbd6b164fbc7d8f546c9c510cc2a.jpg

The background plants have been trimmed now 6 times (each time they reach the surface). No changes with co2 and ferts settings.... Sweet time, enjoying it! However I think the tank won't be able to go further without a serious re-scape in 2-3 months. Time for changing maybe?

Jordi

That's a sweet looking tank mate :). Could i ask how you planted your pinnafitida? Did you tie / glue it to the rocks or did you just sink it into the substrate?

That's a sweet looking tank mate :). Could i ask how you planted your pinnafitida? Did you tie / glue it to the rocks or did you just sink it into the substrate?
I just inserted the stems between rocks, then the runners did the rest and attached nearly to any surface they found (rocks, moss, substrate). If you trim the plants that grow taller, they will rapidly generate runners around. In my case, this technique also improved the color of the plants that progressively turned reddish.

Jordi

Hi all

this will be the last shot of Lava Rocks before I strip the tank down. I have enjoyed very much this nice little layout. I have learnt lots of lessons regarding trimming and composition with stem plants. However it has been very demanding in terms of maintenance in the last months, as stems plants were growing very fast and needed weekly trimming. I will be probably go for something less dynamic for my next layout.

25014388731_a4c5ea7479_k.jpgLava Rocks last shot by Jordi Domingo, en Flickr

Thanks for watching!

Jordi

Back