• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Layout advice for 70L tank

swackett

Hi,

I’m just about to start my second tank and would like some ideas/suggestions for the layout/plants I am thinking of using.

I’ve seen this article http://www.aquatic-gardeners.org/stemplants.html by Takashi Amano , which has inspired me and shows what is possible.

The tank I have is an old Juwel rekord 70 (60x30x40), I’ve replaced the hood with an Arcadia 4x24w T5 luminaire, I have an Eheim 2324 filter and a JBL easy set 2, and have used Aqua Soil for the substrate. (If anyone knows how to remove the white limescale or whatever it is from the glass I'd like to know!)

The plants I was thinking of using are based on the article above, so possibly some of these, advise on which ones would best suit would also be welcome.
  • Glossostigma elatinoides
    Echinodorus tenellus
    Anubias barteri var. nana 'Narrow'
    Bolbitis heudelotii
    Microsorum sp.
    Rotala macrandra (green form)
    Rotala rotundifolia (green)
    Rotala sp.
    Rotala sp. 'Nanjenshan'
    Rotala indica
    Ludwigia arcuata
    Micranthemum micranthemoides
    Eleocharis vivipara
    Cryptocoryne wendtii 'Green'
    Cryptocoryne petchii

Here are the layouts I’ve been playing with, not sure if I need the rocks if so what to do with them.

Layout 1
Juwel_layout_1.jpg

Layout 2
Juwel_layout_2.jpg

Layout 3
Juwel_layout_3.jpg

Layout 4
Juwel_layout_4.jpg

Cheers,

Bigger rocks, and more of them, I'm all for using imposing hardscapes. I've always found smaller ones disappear under plants after a month or so. Don't be afraid to play with substrate as well, valleys and mounds always look good.

What about removing the rocks altogther?

Also any adivice on the plants I have listed would be great :)

Cheers

Okay :)

Do you think I should just remove the rocks as they do seem a little "lost" and stick with the piece of wood ?

No, I think you should get more rocks, It's going to look bare without them, been there done that.

I've been thinking and I not sure about rocks just yet, I'm thinking about putting the piece of wood in the middle or getting another peice of wood and trying a U shape arrangement (I think the tank is just long enough) :)

Yeah, the cut ends are a nuisance, you can crush them up with pliers though. I use Sumatra wood and I really like it but I find it to be less easy to use than redmoor.

Thanks for the comments everyone.

I think I will go for the piece of wood I have place towards the right hand side as in layout 1 and 4 and get planting. I'm going to try for a structured jungle look. :)

I'l be planting on Sunday so will post some pics after that :)

Does anyone know how to remove the white water marks that build up on glass over time? I've tried using bathroom limescale removers/kitchen cleaners but that did not make much difference, I've also tried with limited success scraping it off with a razor blade.

Any ideas as it looks a bit of a mess??

Tank now setup and planted, spent Sunday PM doing it, I have to say so far i am very impressed with the Eheim 2324 filter, it is silent - I had to look at to see if there was water coming out of the spray bar to make sure it was still running!

I'll post some pics soon.

I may start a journal on this one.

Steve

Back