• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Layout changes?

oldwhitewood

How often do you guys change you layouts? Basically I've had mine going since December. I am pretty happy with it I must say but I would love to have my tank slightly different. Mainly just with moss and crypts, a very simple layout which would be more about the shapes of the moss covered wood than anything else.

What do you guys think? Should I carry on or try and create something new? I like the idea of trying to maintain it but I'm going to be selling my house soon and I don't really want to do another tank as well as this.

Any input would be great.

oldwhitewood said:
How often do you guys change you layouts? Basically I've had mine going since December. I am pretty happy with it I must say but I would love to have my tank slightly different. Mainly just with moss and crypts, a very simple layout which would be more about the shapes of the moss covered wood than anything else.

What do you guys think? Should I carry on or try and create something new? I like the idea of trying to maintain it but I'm going to be selling my house soon and I don't really want to do another tank as well as this.

Any input would be great.

For the change -

Learn more.
Exciting stages - planning, implenting and watching the development and growth.
New focus for your living space.
Try out different plants and fish.
Try out new techniques.
More interesting for us.
More cash for Rich...?
Give away/sell old plants

Against -

Element of fear of unknown - out of comfort zone
Stress fish?
Expense?
Time consuming? (not always a bad thing)

I say do it.

I get bored of a layout after a few months. I've kept going with my present layout because I'm determined to see it reach its peak and I don't have the cash or time yet for anything else.

Do it! If you have an idea in your head of what you think you'd like it to look like, you'll never be able to walk past the tank without imagining it.

I have spent the last two hours stripping my tank - currently there's a couple of bits of slate and some moss, but every other plant is sitting in a bucket waiting to be replanted. No regrets (at the mo!).

Go for it, what you have described sounds lovely and if you don't like it, try something else!

I think the issue is really that I will have to totally empty the tank and start from scratch again, as I find it takes me ages to position the wood correctly and plant, I like to plant in wet substrate I only begin filling up when I have arranged all the plants you see.

Hmm interesting, I think I will start to plan the new layout in my head.

Back