• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Leaf issues

Gang@ukaps

I have a slight problems with a few leaves on two plants, any thoughts.

Alternanthera reinecka "Pink" roseafolia

DSCN3407.jpg

Echinodorus "Ozelot"

DSCN3408.jpg

Rgards
paul

Re: Leave issues

SteveUK said:
Any fish in there that might be munching them?

Well I cannot imagine the following eating them

Platties
Rummies
Cardinals
Harlequins
Ottos
Cats

Regards
paul.

The leafs were perfect last night and this is what you find in the morning.

Gang@ukaps

It seems strange that I have only received 1 (one) reply to my thread - have i been black listed to replies.

Paul.

Seems strange that saintly, superman, arronnorth, JamesM and co the regulars have not replied. You can bet on them replying - even or against the odds is the bet.

Paul.

SteveUK said:
Might be a potassium issue...

Quoting this website:

Pinholes appear in older leaves, and slowly enlarge
Yellow areas
Withering of leaf edges and tips

Edit - Any snails, like apple snails?

Thx Steve for the reply - as for snails no, but about six weeks a ago after buying some plants from TGM I found one trumpet snail - i think it was a trumpet, they a longish shell and its spiral / curly, that got squashed. All the other plants mainly crypts are ok, polyasperma has holes in the leaves.
Regards
paul.

It'd be worth re-capping your stats briefly Paul :) Dosing/CO2/Lighting.

That Ozelot leaf is odd. It looks really healthy, other than the gaping holes of course! Is this happening to any other plants? Could it be just a couple of leaves dieing off and dissintegrating?

Edit:

That does suggest something's munched them, but it's difficult to say. The trumpet snail shouldn't cause a problem as far as I'm aware, but you never know... (I'd get rid anyway, if possible. I was over run by trumpet snails within 8 months of buying 6).

What cats have you got?

aaronnorth said:
Hi Paul :D

The 2nd pic doesnt look like any defficiency, due to the rest of the leaf being in perfect health, it does look as though it has been eaten, however, with the first one the abnormal leaf shape could be a calcium defficiency. Do you know the KH & GH of your water?

Bets are off now you have answered.

Arron

Kh = 0
GH = 0

That what my Precision test strips show going by the nearest colour on the chart v the colour achieved.

Eg. Colour for KH / GH were nearer to the zero colour than the colour for 50ppm

Regards
Paul.

SteveUK said:
It'd be worth re-capping your stats briefly Paul :) Dosing/CO2/Lighting.

That Ozelot leaf is odd. It looks really healthy, other than the gaping holes of course! Is this happening to any other plants? Could it be just a couple of leaves dieing off and dissintegrating?

Edit:

That does suggest something's munched them, but it's difficult to say. The trumpet snail shouldn't cause a problem as far as I'm aware, but you never know... (I'd get rid anyway, if possible. I was over run by trumpet snails within 8 months of buying 6).

What cats have you got?

Nothing special - Jullia I think :?: and two clown loaches - forgot to add them and one is a biggie - well he looks big compared with his little mate.

These plants have been in the tank for three week, bad leaves were removed and plants rinse prior to putting them into the tank, still in their pots.

Rosaflora plants were still in pots until Saturday split in half and stem planted.

The ozlet plants are not planted still in pots and were at the back of the tank - so I moved them forward to the front, stayed up friday night - 1 hour after the lights went out - armed with a torch looking for snails and the same on Saturday night - leafs ok. Sunday morning leaves as per pics.

Regards
Paul.

SteveUK said:
Hmn, just read that clown loaches are either plant safe or not plant safe, depending where you read... That being said, this site suggests:

They may uproot them, or punch holes in the leaves. Plant species must be capable of low-light environments.

Steve

Might of hit the nail on its head, damage only seems to be done during the night - well you see the damage in the morning. The big loach only comes out @ night the rest of the time it under a piece of bogwood, sometimes you can go all week without seeing him or she, the smaller loach is out and about all the time. I think we can rule out the snail as i would imagine that a snail would eat a leaf / leafs from the outer edges work its way inwards. As for the polyasperma rosavig I think that may be down to fertz issue as some of the leafs have gone slightly brown then mushy looking decomposing I assume. Some other leafs have holes. Obviously the plants tissue is damaged through the hole and the leaf starts to rot / decay away.

Regards
Paul.

NB Well if he / she does not behave he or she will be getting an "ASBO" - i must be the first to have a clown loach with a asbo then

THX
Paul

Thx steve

Any new plants that I buy I give them a damm good wash / rinse under the tap before I put them into the water, turn the plant upside down and even remove rock wool from pot prior to a good wash / rinsing. I never plant straight away - I usually wait approx 1- 2 week before I plant them, just to let them adapt to their new surroundings ie water constituency / fertz / lighting etc - whatever is within the water column / tank.

Regards
paul.

hi fly fisherman,
it was quite a long time ago (and a good few tanks), that i experienced horseshoe shaped holes in my plants. one night for whatever reason i was sat next to said tank and could hear a fairly audible clicking. as i said it was a long time ago, and i can't remember the exact method i used (probably torch) i discovered "clown loaches" were the culprits , caught red handed. on hindsight i think they were probably eating the snail eggs from the plants but the problem worsened to the point where big chunks were disappearing as the loaches grew. i have never kept loaches to this day for that reason, although i love the fish, i love the plants even more.
maybe i'm wrong, but just experience!
later, bazz!

Back